Author Topic: AVAST 8 Program update! (8.0.1483)  (Read 201364 times)

Broken Hope

Re: AVAST 8 Program update! (8.0.1483)
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2013, 10:57:11 AM »

Avast 8 hijacks the virtualisation for supposed better protection, but it has a ton of compatibility issues.

Hi Broken Hope, do you personaly have any problem with avast vitualization features, or do you just re-report other people's reports?

Windows being unable to properly query CPU features is a big enough problem for me, Task Manager should not be showing my CPU as not capable of Virtualisation when it clearly is. I don't want my security software hijacking things like that.

By hijacking you mean using?

Edit: some explanation: from the little I know from the team that created these features, using hypervisor in avast! greatly enhances Sandbox/autosandbox capabilities on systems, where hooking is not possible (x64) and thus adds to the security features. It might have some compatibility problems though and knowing about them is important. The driver itself is already trying to detect these and adjust its own functionality to prevent such problems. Fixing (faking) how things are reported to the OS is, I guess, also possible, but the overall stability and compatibility was the primary concern.

What I don't understand is, why does using hypervisor mean that you guys have to mess with how Windows detects CPU features? Surely you guys can't account for every single program that uses virtualisation so you're going to have compatibility issues on a fairly regular basis?

Also are you guys looking into the aswTdi error in Event Log?

The description for Event ID 16001 from source AFD cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Afd
\Driver\aswTdi
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:01:05 AM by Broken Hope »

Jole2980

« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2013, 03:17:55 PM »
I'm using Thunderbird 17.0.4 on a notebook running Windows 7.
After the update I was unable to send emails. Even after installing the certificate as mentioned in -> http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB91#artTitle
When I disable Mail shield-> General settings-> scan outgoing mails (SMTP) it works (as before).
What can I do? Can I go back to an earlier version?
By the way, on my main PC using Outlook I have no problems.
regs.

Don't know why Don't know why but today (18/03) it all seems to work as it should.  :) again
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:11:27 PM by Jole2980 »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

babsig

« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2013, 08:28:40 PM »
<snip>
my previous post was completely ignored. I also seem to find more problems with the update. The software updater does not work. It detects that some programs are out of date, asks me to install updates and then it does....NOTHING!!!! great work. disabled it.
<snip>

The problem is that posting in this monster topic is likely to get lost/overlooked in the activity. You are best to create your own new topic than people can help on your specific issue or it just gets buried here, both your posts and those seeking to help.

well you know, too much effort and no result! I can just bother the avast support team instead of me trying to solve this through this forum and save my time instead of theirs. thanks for your time though!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2013, 09:33:37 PM »
With just three posts, I'm not sure where this effort is best directed. If you are contemplating using the 3rd party telephone number (this isn't avast you will be speaking to), beware if they feel your problem is unrelated to avast as they will offer you a premium support package to fix it.

There are people on the forums that are just waiting to help you and it will cost you nothing other than a little time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

babsig

« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2013, 10:32:46 PM »
With just three posts, I'm not sure where this effort is best directed. If you are contemplating using the 3rd party telephone number (this isn't avast you will be speaking to), beware if they feel your problem is unrelated to avast as they will offer you a premium support package to fix it.

There are people on the forums that are just waiting to help you and it will cost you nothing other than a little time.

Just 3 posts!!! you must be kidding me!! I've read the FAQ, the knowledgebase, all the posts in this forum and after 'just' three posts, not even an attempt to a solution has been proposed! not even a mere ' thanks for your input, we'll try to fix these issues in our next update'. May I remind you I paid for a product that was promising support. Now, if the support cannot deliver what they promise, I regret buying the product, and rest assure it will never happen again. I really feel I don't have to spend hours, reading and writing posts about a problem of a product I've actually spent my money on. I've already wasted enough time on this. Very disappointed.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:34:29 PM by babsig »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2013, 10:43:28 PM »
Hi, I am a great fan of Avast, but there's a small problem I'd like to report. One minor problem that seems to occur to my system is that once I minimize a browser window in safezone (or any other program window) and then click on the tab to restore the window it does nothing. I have to right-click and select the restore window option to restore the window.

To the rest everything else seems fine, so far.

I have Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, intel i7, 4gb ram

Thanks.
Is this the post you are referring to ?  The problem is that it will get lost in this mega thread, for a reasonable response I would recommend a separate thread.  Having said that I have just tried safe zone and can confirm your problem 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2013, 12:03:33 AM »
<snip quote>
Just 3 posts!!! you must be kidding me!! I've read the FAQ, the knowledgebase, all the posts in this forum and after 'just' three posts, not even an attempt to a solution has been proposed! not even a mere ' thanks for your input, we'll try to fix these issues in our next update'.
<snip>

Yes, because that is all we see, your posts, we don't see what you are doing behind the scenes. That is why I suggested your own dedicated topic, so you can ask for and hopefully get direct help/input on the matter rather than it getting buried in large topics like this one.

I will also remind you that I don't work for avast, but volunteer my time in trying to help other avast users.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dannyg

« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2013, 04:01:24 PM »

Noticed that now it does show enabled in virtualization. i havn't done any system changes.

Broken Hope

« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »
Looks like they set the driver responsible to manual start, I had that driver set to a startup type of 4, it's now set to 3 and I don't appear to be able to change it, even with self defence disabled.

stduc

« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2013, 11:24:32 PM »
Is this legit? Do I confirm exception?

ganejoe

« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »
New Avast 8 make my computer run very slow.
I don't like about Avast 8 Services  :( but I like it's interface  ;D.
I think I will go back to Avast 7.
I vote Avast 8 as The Worst Avast Generation   >:(, the same I vote for Windows 8 as The Unwanted Windows I Ever Used.  >:(
I like next Avast 9 will use Avast 8 Interface and a little bit improvement Avast 7 code.

babsig

« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »
<snip quote>
Just 3 posts!!! you must be kidding me!! I've read the FAQ, the knowledgebase, all the posts in this forum and after 'just' three posts, not even an attempt to a solution has been proposed! not even a mere ' thanks for your input, we'll try to fix these issues in our next update'.
<snip>

Yes, because that is all we see, your posts, we don't see what you are doing behind the scenes. That is why I suggested your own dedicated topic, so you can ask for and hopefully get direct help/input on the matter rather than it getting buried in large topics like this one.

I will also remind you that I don't work for avast, but volunteer my time in trying to help other avast users.

I didn't know you are a volunteer. Sorry if I was offensive. I assume that some people here are working for avast. Contacted the support team and said they will address the problem on the next release. To the rest I'm happy with the program so far, so it's all good. Thanks again for your time. Thanks to essexboy too.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2013, 01:10:57 PM »
You're welcome, the 'avast! team' members have 'avast! team' in the profile information to the left of their posts.

Defence

« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »
Hi, when we see new update?