Author Topic: Software Updater = Major FAIL!!!  (Read 26937 times)

Baseman

Software Updater = Major FAIL!!!
« on: March 07, 2013, 05:43:09 PM »
Thanks for putting the final nail in your own coffin, and pushing me to another anti virus program! The rest of the sheep you call customers may be ok with the fact that you not only slip new software onto their computers without any warning whatsoever, but enable the new software and allow it to run. Its MY computer, NOT yours, and YOU dont install and enable a DAMN THING on my system without my knowledge and permission. The majority of people in the world may be too lazy and/or stupid to keep their own systems up to date, but to install a software updater that has NOTHING to do with anti virus, then enable it and run it on first reboot.... without my permission? 1st system was set to update automatically, updater installed silently without notification or permission. Just updated 2nd system manually with same result. NO WARNING of avast not only installing a "software updater"... but activating it and allowing it to run in the background trying to update ALL of my software programs! MAJOR FAIL!!

I had my system set to auto update, and it updated from avast 7 to avast 8. Now I had a "software updater" that automatically runs int he background and updates ALL of my software. This was not only installed, but TURNED ON AND RUNNING WITHOUT MY CONSENT! So YES... you DID slip this in! THIS is why avast now disgusts me more than I can say! I used to promote avast to all my clients, now... I will promote ANY OTHER a/v other than avast!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:50:10 PM by Baseman »

Baseman

Re: Software Updater = Major FAIL!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
I cant even shut the stupid thing off! I have it un-ticked in the 2 boxes that SHOULD turn it off, and it shows it is off by saying "activate updater...." in a blue box, lower right on the updater screen.... yet it is STILL running and telling me programs like adobe reader need updating!!!!

No words can describe ho winuriated and disgusted I am right now, with a company I have used for a LONG time!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:24:15 PM »
This is why the default setting for the program update is set to manual, if you had not changed the default then you would have been notified of the update instead of auto install.

If you don't want the Software updater then go to programs and features/uninstall programs, click avast then uninstall and when you receive the popup screen choose change and de-select the software updater.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 06:25:24 PM »
you can uninstall the modules in avast you do not want...    ;)

IdontKnow1991

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »
This is why the default setting for the program update is set to manual, if you had not changed the default then you would have been notified of the update instead of auto install.

If you don't want the Software updater then go to programs and features/uninstall programs, click avast then uninstall and when you receive the popup screen choose change and de-select the software updater.

<strike>The default settings for me were set to auto download...</strike> (whoops reading comprehension, I read it as downloading the software and not the auctual install process you are correct, I appologize)

As for the OP, I understand his frustration as I'm still having issues over it where it seemed to modify windows files and the programs are continually trying to update through scvhost with the program long removed. I've used avast for 3 years and I've always just updated via the GUI and im just going to chalk this up as a learning experience and just use a custom install next time...

While I really don't care for the way it auto downloaded, I think the software updater is perfect for general audience given many people don't even know they have java or flash on their system.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:45:21 PM by IdontKnow1991 »

Baseman

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 06:36:59 PM »

another useless answer. 1 machine updated and installed it automatically. second machine I updated manually and STILL no mention of any software updater. This isnt my first rodeo, and I shouldnt have to uninstall something that I never authorized installing.

youre basically telling me by setting my updates to auto... that avast takes advantage of that to install what they want without my permission. next time, maybe think before you speak

Baseman

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 06:40:23 PM »

The default settings for me were set to auto download...

As for the OP, I understand his frustration as I'm still having issues over it where it seemed to modifity windows files and the programs are contiunitly trying to update through scvhost with the program long removed. I've used avast for 3 years and I've always just updated via the GUI and im just going to chalk this up as a learning experience and just use a custom install next time...

While I really don't care for the way it auto downloaded, I think the software updater is perfect for general audience given many people don't even know they have java or flash on their system.

I agree that most people are lucky to be able to send an email, let alone keep their system secure. BUT, this should be an OPTION, not forced down my throat, AND initialized and running in the background without my consent

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 06:57:19 PM »
another useless answer. 1 machine updated and installed it automatically. second machine I updated manually and STILL no mention of any software updater. This isnt my first rodeo, and I shouldnt have to uninstall something that I never authorized installing.

youre basically telling me by setting my updates to auto... that avast takes advantage of that to install what they want without my permission. next time, maybe think before you speak
You might think it was a useless answer but as I previously mentioned you turned on the auto program update so you are the one who gave permission to avast to install all there new modules, think about that Einstein 8) 

Baseman

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »

You might think it was a useless answer but as I previously mentioned you turned on the auto program update so you are the one who gave permission to avast to install all there new modules, think about that Einstein 8)

and you only hear what you want.... as I have now updated TWO machines manually and NOT had a choice to avoid the installation of the software updater. And your comment about me giving avast total control where my system is concerned is the biggest pile of BS I have ever seen. That comment alone of yours should prove they slipped this is without warning, and should scare people away. keep trying to justify it though... you guys are slitting your own throats with these pathetic excuses. Think about that

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 07:10:26 PM »
If you custom install you can pick and choose the modules you want to install
Or you can use the change function via Control panel > add/remove (programs and features) to uninstall it

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
Another release, another raging clueless user threatening to use another AV...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Baseman

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 07:51:08 PM »
Another release, another raging clueless user threatening to use another AV...

another useless post by an arrogant POS who feels the need to go online and berate/talk down to/ridicule people... yeah, youre a real winner there champ

Baseman

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 07:53:43 PM »
If you custom install you can pick and choose the modules you want to install
Or you can use the change function via Control panel > add/remove (programs and features) to uninstall it

there was NO option of custom install on this update!! . This has been stated already

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »
OK then uninstall the module you do not wish to have via control panel

Baseman

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »
OK then uninstall the module you do not wish to have via control panel

I already have, but thats NOT the issue. The issue was that it was installed and initiated without any notice or permission by me