Author Topic: Software Updater = Major FAIL!!!  (Read 26939 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Software Updater = Major FAIL!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 08:21:07 PM »
Another release, another raging clueless user threatening to use another AV...

another useless post by an arrogant POS who feels the need to go online and berate/talk down to/ridicule people... yeah, youre a real winner there champ

We read such raging posts after every release so you're barking at the wrong tree...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Baseman

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »
We read such raging posts after every release so you're barking at the wrong tree...

and yet, you just keep posting your rude and condescending remarks which help nothing... which is spam also. So get the hell over yourself, as youre not helping a thing, only making it worse. I get it, I really do... you know everything and are so pathetic you live your life on this forum and belittle those with problems

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 08:27:27 PM »
It is part of the security set up for front facing programmes.  The vast majority of user do not know enough about updates etc.. so this is another help for them
I do not know of another way to install this except as a stand alone element in which case the not so savvy will totally ignore it.  The more seasoned users can uninstall it if they do not want it

Baseman

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 08:29:48 PM »
OK then uninstall the module you do not wish to have via control panel

I already have, but thats NOT the issue. The issue was that it was installed and initiated without any notice or permission by me
May I inquire if you still have the issue of Svchost.exe still continuously downloading updates for your programs from the internet even after the Avast software updater was removed by you?

Please check the connections made by svchost.exe to software company websites in your firewall and tell.

Sorry Kevin, I missed this... my apologies. No, I do not have svchost running trying to download any updates. But, I never did. As soon as my system rebooted after the program update to 8 and the install of the software updater, I was made aware that it was trying to update adobe reader, and denied it. So as far as I know, my system never started an active connection to download any updates for anything.

I hope you get it figured out and dont have to do a restore
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:36:13 PM by Baseman »

Baseman

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 08:34:30 PM »
It is part of the security set up for front facing programmes.  The vast majority of user do not know enough about updates etc.. so this is another help for them
I do not know of another way to install this except as a stand alone element in which case the not so savvy will totally ignore it.  The more seasoned users can uninstall it if they do not want it

essexboy..... THANK YOU! Finally, someone has actually addressed the issue that cause me to start this thread, and you did it in an adult fashion without acting so arrogant and condescending.

I completely agree... most end users are lucky to be able to turn a system on. They can sure learn how to FB and youtube etc... but are too lazy to learn how to do just a little preventive maintenance to ensure a secure system. But, that doesnt give avast the right to silently install something to take over that responsibility. All it would have taken was some sort of notice during the install, or for that fact, even after the install, and telling people how to remove it (if they didnt know). But to not only silently install it during a routine update, and then initialize it and run it without the owners permission or knowledge.... THAT is what I have problem with.

Thank you again for addressing this in such an adult fashion

Baseman

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »
Kevin I also have Win7 64 n 3 machines. 2 machines were updated manually, and 1 automatically.

Baseman

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »
Flash Player Plugin
Java Runtime Environment 7 (32bit)
Java Runtime Environment 7 (64bit)
Mozilla Firefox
Opera (32bit)

Pretty funny actually.... Opera has been gone for months

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 10:17:47 PM »
I already have, but thats NOT the issue. The issue was that it was installed and initiated without any notice or permission by me
With all due respect, it was you who installed avast. avast did not install you.
During the install process you were presented with an option to do a custom install.
I have learned from experience to do custom installs as much as I can.
By doing so it is I who controls what is or isn't installed.

Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Baseman

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 10:25:27 PM »
NO.... I did NOT have a custom install option. You people wonder why I get so upset, when 99% of you dont even read the posts. You just jump to conclusions and talk down to people in a condescending manner.

This was NOT a fresh install, this was a program update from 7 to 8 on 3 different machines. I took pix of the install process of the update, and there was NO option for a custom install. The only option was for google toolbar/chrome. by the time software updater was mentioned, it was too late and had been installed

I cant make it any more clear than this.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »
I think Baseman is onto something.   Seems like a version update, adding these kinds of new features,
should NOT occur without the user having a chance to decline them.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

DrHaze

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
if you update through the gui it doesn't giveyou a chance, afterall it's an update...but if you a fresh install it definitely does give you the choice you are just clicking to fast and overlooking something.

DBone

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 04:43:16 PM »
While the OP is harsh with his criticism, he has a very valid point. The software updater is considered by me, in my opinion, a PUP. A new, non-standard module like this should have been an opt-in install, not an auto-in install via the avast! update feature (7.xxxx to 8.xxxx).

avast! should have somehow made the update much like a brand new install with the opportunity to chose what modules were going to be installed, rather then installing a PUP automatically and worse yet, silently..............This is what avast! is supposed to protect the end user from in the first place.

Offline Herrminator

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 05:24:17 PM »
While the OP is harsh with his criticism, he has a very valid point. The software updater is considered by me, in my opinion, a PUP. A new, non-standard module like this should have been an opt-in install, not an auto-in install via the avast! update feature (7.xxxx to 8.xxxx).

avast! should have somehow made the update much like a brand new install with the opportunity to chose what modules were going to be installed, rather then installing a PUP automatically and worse yet, silently..............This is what avast! is supposed to protect the end user from in the first place.

I cannot agree more!

Especially in Pro+ installations, where users are usually aware of their environment, this has to be an opt-in!

Changes like these are the reason that in our installations, we never update to the latest avast! versions immediately and that automatic program updates will always stay turned off.
Consulting this forum is an absolute must. Relying an avast! alone is definitely not enough anymore.

Somehow, our trust in avast! has been broken :(

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 05:34:43 PM »
What makes you think that the computer-awareness is any different with free and paid version users?

Opt-in doesn't make sense here IMHO - those users that the feature is important for, wouldn't install it (because they don't care or don't understand - they leave everything as it was, including an opt-in checkbox). Those who actually take care of their systems, on the other hand, are able to remove the feature.
And as said a few times, the button to stop the Software Updater for good will be there in the next update (to avoid the hassle of going into the Control Panel).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:38:39 PM by igor »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 05:49:12 PM »
A couple days ago I didn't like it so I got rid of it by going to the the control panel, repair and unticked Software Updater.  Today I thought I might miss an important update so I went into safe mode, and uninstalled Avast.  I then downloaded Version 7, then updated back to Version 8 so now I have it again and plan on keeping it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:51:28 PM by -midnight »