Author Topic: Software Updater = Major FAIL!!!  (Read 26924 times)

Offline Herrminator

Re: Software Updater = Major FAIL!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 05:55:31 PM »
What makes you think that the computer-awareness is any different with free and paid version users?

The awareness alone isn't the issue! During automatic update, there isn't even a hint that an intrusive feature like this will be automatically activated.
It is our own OS and software installation, and not avast!s.

What makes things even worse, is, that if you update using the setup program, to avoid this mess, you loose all your settings (including licensing).
If you forgot to make a backup (using a not-so-obvious-but-more-useful feature), you're...

Don't get me wrong, I still think avast! is one of the better AV-bloatwares around, but patronizing customers isn't a solution.

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »
I'm with all the critics here. I too was not given an install option on this unwanted feature, the only thing I had the choice of after the update to Avast 8 download and restarting the computer was the all too familiar and annoying one of whether to install Google Chrome. The fact that it is set to 'Yes' by default has always been the bone of contention for me with installers that include it. This sort of thing should ALWAYS be opt in not opt out and that's the main problem I have with the application updater too.

If Avast 'must' include something like this have it as a main menu manual check option so it can be used when it's convenient for the user and not using up system resources and annoying you with lurid pop-ups warning of the 'critical' need to update. It might have even been welcomed in this form.

scrumdown

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 05:02:55 PM »
Good Afternoon All,

The basic issue seems to be whether or not the new feature Software Updater is an unwanted stealth intrusion or a useful additional feature for those who are a bit negligent in keeping other vital applications up-to-date.

On the Software Updater page, there is a button on the bottom-right Activate automatic updates.
I’ve very recently upgraded all my W7 and XP computers to Avast 8, so am as yet unsure how software updates are installed.
If I don’t click on this button, will I receive a pop-up informing me that a third-party program now has an available update, or will I have to check manually every-so-often?
If I do click this button, will available updates be thereafter installed automatically? If so, will I then receive a pop-up informing me that a program has been updated?

In the real world, the large majority of users are negligent in their security monitoring. I occasionally fix other peoples’ computers, and often find that their Adobe Reader, Java, Flash, etc. are operating on older vulnerable versions.
I don’t denigrate or patronise them for this. Most have busy demanding lives, and their priorities are not exclusively centred on their computer’s security settings – others please note.

I’m beginning to consider that this updater might be a useful addition for such people who are er um “negligent”, as it could act as a one-stop-shop to monitor other applications – see below.

Finally – I have no issues with Avast 8 Free. It now sits well with my networked W7 & XP computers and my ZA firewalls and does not perceptibly slow down bootup or normal running. I have been using Avast for years, and am grateful that they provide such an excellent FREE program.  :D

http://www.securelist.com/en/analysis/204792231/IT_Threat_Evolution_Q1_2012

Vulnerable applications targeted by malicious users
Since the majority of attacks via the Internet are performed with exploits that target vulnerabilities in software to breach security and execute malicious code without the user’s knowledge, it is logical to ask which programs are usually targeted by exploits. It is strongly recommended to update these programs in the first instance, and subsequently set automatic updates in future.

Adobe Acrobat Reader - 40%
Java - 26%
Android Root - 8%
Adobe Flash - 3%
Others - 24%

Applications with vulnerabilities targeted by online exploits in the first quarter of 2012
According to the diagram, 66% of exploit-based attacks target just two programs – Adobe Reader and Java.
Roughly one in four attacks on Java target the vulnerability CVE-2011-3544, which was popular among cybercriminals over the whole quarter: it was used for the distribution of the Hlux bot, the Carberp Trojan and a ‘fileless’ bot.

scrumdown

Baseman

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »
No, thats not the issue. Its not whether it is some sort of 3rd party malware etc..., or whether it is useful. That is something that is only judged by each individual. The very first post I made in this thread specifically states that the issue is....

it was silently installed int he background without any notification or choice to "not" install it. Not only was it installed, it was activated and running on first reboot... again, without so much as a warning to the customer.

That is the issue, I cant make it any more clear. Several here agree that it should have been handled different.

At no time did I, or anyone here... bash the integrity of the "software updater" itself. In fact I have agreed that for most people, it is a good thing.... as most people are just too lazy to do any preventive maintenance on their own systems.

Still, that doesnt give Avast the right to install ANY other software on my system without my knowledge and consent.... no matter how good they, or everyone else.... feel the software is.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »
NO.... I did NOT have a custom install option. You people wonder why I get so upset, when 99% of you dont even read the posts. You just jump to conclusions and talk down to people in a condescending manner.

This was NOT a fresh install, this was a program update from 7 to 8 on 3 different machines. I took pix of the install process of the update, and there was NO option for a custom install. The only option was for google toolbar/chrome. by the time software updater was mentioned, it was too late and had been installed

I cant make it any more clear than this.

My guess is the avast! people prepared a special version just for you.

Shame on them!
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Baseman

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2013, 05:59:02 PM »

My guess is the avast! people prepared a special version just for you.

Shame on them!

Evidently not, as there are several more who agree with me, and do not like the way it installed silently

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2013, 06:19:46 PM »
It's freakin unbelievable what kind of idiotic panic ppl make on absolutely unimportant things. Oh noes, avast! now has Software Updater. The world wil end in 3... 2... 1...

Having all software up to date is a No.1 priority in security. If you keep everything updated yourself you won't even notice Software Updater is there. It's not like this feature is using any resources worth mentioning, so why the hell ppl make such a freakin god damn scene or in other words, what freakin difference does it make if it's there or not!?

Some facts:
- Software Updater doesn't use any resources worth mentioning. If you can prove me the difference with or without it, be my guest
- If you update everything on your own anyway, then it won't be bothering you
- If you do forget to update something, it will notify you
- It's not taking up precious interface space because it was designed to be there in the first place

So why the hell you ppl make such a big scene out of it? It's a security feature that has been predicted for version 8. Live with it. They are not going to remove seatbelts from cars just because 5 ppl think they are stupid. And the same is with Software Updater. It's pointless to debate why is it here or why it shouldn't be. avast! team has been kind enough to give an option to remove it. So go to Programs and Features and remove it. But because of the first fact above, i see no point in wasting time and removing it as it won't make absolute no difference. But hey, ppl have to rage about something. If it wasn't Software Updater, they'd find something else to complain over...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Kilia

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2013, 06:39:07 PM »
(From the Software Updater thread)
I was poking around in the Software Updater and discovered this little ditty to "Ignore" an update to listed programs you have.  Just click on "More details" and it will say "Ignore". You click on it and the program doesn't update anymore.
Ps..it stays that way too. ;-)

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2013, 06:49:33 PM »
It's freakin unbelievable what kind of idiotic panic ppl make on absolutely unimportant things. Oh noes, avast! now has Software Updater. The world wil end in 3... 2... 1...

Having all software up to date is a No.1 priority in security. If you keep everything updated yourself you won't even notice Software Updater is there. It's not like this feature is using any resources worth mentioning, so why the hell ppl make such a freakin god damn scene or in other words, what freakin difference does it make if it's there or not!?

Some facts:
- Software Updater doesn't use any resources worth mentioning. If you can prove me the difference with or without it, be my guest
- It's not taking up precious interface space because it was designed to be there in the first place

So why the hell you ppl make such a big scene out of it? It's a security feature that has been predicted for version 8. Live with it. They are not going to remove seatbelts from cars just because 5 ppl think they are stupid. And the same is with Software Updater. It's pointless to debate why is it here or why it shouldn't be. avast! team has been kind enough to give an option to remove it. So go to Programs and Features and remove it. But because of the first fact above, i see no point in wasting time and removing it as it won't make absolute no difference. But hey, ppl have to rage about something. If it wasn't Software Updater, they'd find something else to complain over...

Excellent post.  Well said!!!
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2013, 06:57:53 PM »
And WHY the hell does it matter to you if Software Updater is there or not? It makes absolutely no difference. It's just there. It seems like there is no argument to win you over, you'll be trolling your way till the world will end and even then you wouldn't be happy. If you hate it so much and you can't freakin understand the fact that you can remove it, then go and use something else. I'm already flagged by you as "fanboy" (yeah right, wtf...) There were other more critical things that got denied by the devs so they clearly won't be wasting time just because 5 ppl want to be total control freaks and they totally hate the Software Updater. Other 179.999.995 users like it, so thats that.

Software Updater is NOT some 3rd party function, it's integral part of avast! 8 that has been designed to be there to begin with. Thats why you haven't got any special questions if you want it or not. It's just there. But you'll just be going on and on and on about it. I can' just tell you that your beating of donky won't make any difference as it has been like this ever since. New features always get installed by default for integrated updater. If you don't like it, remove it on your own. If you're such a power user one would expect that you already know how to remove specific avast! components.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2013, 07:28:29 PM »
lol...at those who are against Avast! automatically installing software updater on your system...please read the EULA before using the software if you are so particular in the first place...

From Avast! EULA:

Upgrades and Updates

Upgrades and updates of the Software shall be provided to you by AVAST as long as and to the extent in which AVAST in its exclusive discretion makes such upgrades and updates available to the users of the free version of the Software.

Enough said...

DBone

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »

Some facts:

Wow. That should make members that have a complaint feel welcome.  ::)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 09:43:33 PM »
And they are complaining over a non issue...

DBone

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2013, 09:44:39 PM »
And they are complaining over a non issue...

In YOUR opinion. Who are YOU to decide what issues are valid? Holy cow.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 09:50:20 PM »
It is just a new avast feature, those who don't want it can uninstall it, the same as other new features that have been added to avast over the years. The configurability has always been there to uninstall modules that you don't want to use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security