Author Topic: Software Updater = Major FAIL!!!  (Read 27026 times)

DBone

Re: Software Updater = Major FAIL!!!
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »
It is just a new avast feature, those who don't want it can uninstall it, the same as other new features that have been added to avast over the years. The configurability has always been there to uninstall modules that you don't want to use.

Agreed. However, IMO, it would be nice (in my perfect world) if during the update process there were some kind of a menu that gave users, (both beginners and advanced) a choice of what new modules to install. I'm not talking about true AV modules like shields, but rather this extra PUP-Like (IMO) module.

I believe that was the whole point of this thread by the OP.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »
I have just posted this in another thread to show what I believe is the rationale behind it
Avast is a protection suite not just an antivirus..  To make it an antivirus you would need to remove the following :

Web shield - that stops you from visiting a malicious/hacked site
Sandbox - that runs unknown programmes in a virtual environment to ensure that it is not malicious
Streaming updates - regular but small updates as new malware is found
Software updater - although this should really be called vulnerability protection, how many zero day infections are due to security flaws in Java, adobe etc.
Remote Assistance - this allows someone you know to assist in resolving your computer problems via the net
Browser Cleanup - to remove rubbish from your browser that redirect or alter your search engine/home page
Boot Scanner - the ability to run a scan prior to windows loading

Then you would have something similar to Avira, but Avast aims for prevention rather than cure and all of these  are strings to that bow.
I have actually asked for an additional module to monitor the system Host file, as the latest wave of adware subverts that.
There are very few true viruses nowadays like sality or other file infectors. Most are either data gatherers or click to pay malware (malicious software)   

If you look at this chart http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RAP-quadrant-Aug12-Feb13-1200.jpg you will see that Avast free (the only one tested) compares very favourably with other solutions including paid suites, and is on par with Kaspersky 

Modules that are not in use do not consume any system resources I do not use P2P or IM software, yet I have not removed them in my system as the overhead is nil

In my opinion and I am in now way beholden to Avast, this is the best free protection that you can get
All antiviruses  both free and paid will not catch all the malware out there as the malware writers are always one step ahead, as before you can detect something you must know what it is 

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2013, 11:36:26 PM »
It is just a new avast feature, those who don't want it can uninstall it, the same as other new features that have been added to avast over the years. The configurability has always been there to uninstall modules that you don't want to use.

Agreed. However, IMO, it would be nice (in my perfect world) if during the update process there were some kind of a menu that gave users, (both beginners and advanced) a choice of what new modules to install. I'm not talking about true AV modules like shields, but rather this extra PUP-Like (IMO) module.

So you want to bombard clueless users with loads of settings on updates? Now you ppl are just looking what you want and not necessarely what other users want or need. avast! team has to look whats in best interest of all users and that means installing new features to everyone by default.
Or do you serioulsy believe that any other vendor does it any differently? You wish.

But i'm not gonna waste any more time explaining it to ppl who clearly refuse to understand it. So think whatever you won't, this isn't going to change now and it will never change. Not with the userbase behind the program...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

DBone

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2013, 12:25:30 AM »

So you want to bombard clueless users with loads of settings on updates? Now you ppl are just looking what you want and not necessarely what other users want or need. avast! team has to look whats in best interest of all users and that means installing new features to everyone by default.
Or do you serioulsy believe that any other vendor does it any differently? You wish.

But i'm not gonna waste any more time explaining it to ppl who clearly refuse to understand it. So think whatever you won't, this isn't going to change now and it will never change. Not with the userbase behind the program...

Doesn't make it right. If your PDF viewer, or video player did this on update, would you find it OK? I doubt it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2013, 01:13:19 AM »
You simply can't make any comparison with (PDF viewer, or video player) if they include something related to that program, then there is no problem.

Avast is a security based product and this is a security based addition to the product to try and combat vulnerabilities in programs that are frequently exploited. For the most part the average user will benefit from having this type of checker.

For those of us big enough and ugly enough to look after ourself, are more than capable of uninstalling it if we don't feel it necessary for us.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2013, 07:31:46 AM »
DavidR, don't bother. They'll keep on grinding their thing no matter what you'll say.

Offline A. User

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2013, 08:51:06 AM »
The software updater is for YOUR SECURITY I guess you don't want to visit a site which is compromised and infect your computer because your flash player or java is not updated.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:25:24 AM by liubomirwm »

Erazor84

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2013, 09:40:22 AM »
On Windows 8 the software updater show wrong informations. the build number from ie10 on windows 8 is slightly different from the build number on windows 7. (the windows 7 version is newer). the updater told me, that i have not the latest ie10 version, but for windows 8 is no update available, because the windows 7 ie10 build number is only for windows 7 at the moment. that is annoying.

Offline A. User

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2013, 09:51:28 AM »
On windows 7 with IE10 the local version is greater than the secure!? See the screenshot. The same is for Google chrome. Because of this i use Secunia PSI.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:54:10 AM by liubomirwm »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2013, 10:25:33 AM »
There are more important issues to be addressed than how to remove this feature. Broken IE10 info at the moment, missing Mozilla Firefox etc etc...

DBone

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2013, 05:08:52 PM »
Quote from:  link=topic=117155.msg909605#msg909605 date=1362901866
The software updater is for YOUR SECURITY I guess you don't want to visit a site which is compromised and infect your computer because your flash player or java is not updated.

For users like me, we do all of our own updates and we disable any auto-updating in programs like flash. For the standard user, most every program now auto-updates itself, or at the very least, auto-checks for updates and then alerts the user, and they do this via their default install settings. So in reality, this nice new feature is not needed by both advanced and standard users.

There are more important issues to be addressed than how to remove this feature. Broken IE10 info at the moment, missing Mozilla Firefox etc etc...

I don't use Firefox so that issue is not important.......................................Sound familiar?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 03:52:41 PM by Eva137 »

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2013, 03:58:20 AM »

For users like me, we do all of our own updates and we disable any auto-updating in programs like flash. For the standard user, most every program now auto-updates itself, or at the very least, auto-checks for updates and then alerts the user, and they do this via their default install settings. So in reality, this nice new feature is not needed by both advanced and standard users.

Exactly. It is an unnecessary addition for most people but I'd be quite happy for it to be available if a). it was off by default and b). it could be simply enabled/disabled from the Avast main menu or settings. Why should we have to go through all the programs it has decided to check for updates ticking "Ignore" just to disable it? 

As for those saying it doesn't use up resources - poppycock. If you're on dial-up, like me, just checking for updates slows the connection to a crawl. I turned automatic Windows updates off several years ago because it often reduced my internet speed to unuseable levels.

As it is my Avast AV definition updates, the only auto-update I still allow, reduces my connection speed by around 50% from about 44kbps to <30kbps whilst it doing its thing but as that usually only lasts for 5 minutes or so I can live with it. But having Avast also checking for a dozen other programs as well, let alone trying to install them, is the last thing I need.     

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »
For those that really do need it off by default isn't an option, they won't know to turn it on and I believe that is why avast have done it that way.

It has already been mentioned by an avast team member that there will be a disable function in a later program update so you don't have to uninstall it.

EDIT:
Next version of Software Updater (shipped with Avast R2 release in a couple of weeks) will have an option in Settings which will allow disabling Software Updater permanently (persistent).

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:56:25 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security