Author Topic: Vista wont start after I install Internet Security 8  (Read 2387 times)

AManWithAKilt

Vista wont start after I install Internet Security 8
« on: March 08, 2013, 02:36:45 AM »
My just bought Internet security 8 a couple days ago after my license ran out for the year and now windows freezes as windows is loading. I've reinstalled windows and subsequently reformatted my windows drive, in case of a conflict with another program, but everytime I install Avast it freezes on the loading screen and I have to go into safe mode to uninstall it. Hope someone can help.

Ron1234

Re: Vista wont start after I install Internet Security 8
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 03:11:24 AM »
Same deal here.  Except I went to last kown good config, so Vista64 works OK, but now avast won't start 3 services; File system, IM and P2P.  Hope it's a quick bug fix.

I turned on the Windows fire wall for now.

UPDATE:  In spite of the fact that avast self-updated less than 2 hours ago, and screwed up somehow,  I elected to try manual updating, and voila, it works now.  Mystified why the automatic update didn't work in the first place.  Have used product for a few years.  This is the first time I've had any problem at all.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:47:47 AM by Ron1234 »

KymberB319

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:48:48 AM »
Me three! I have the paid version and when I called the support line, they remote accessed my computer (with my permission) and proceeded to point out typical system housekeeping stuff they claimed suddenly conflicted with the upgrade. HOWEVER, for $169. they can get my system running fine again.

WTF?

So I paid for software to cause my computer to trip, to cause me to call them for support so I can pay them another $169 for basic housekeeping crap? I think not.

Another good product, ruined by greed.

true indian

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:57:33 AM »
1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117113.0
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed avast! versions..!!)
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 08:59:56 AM »
Tried that but no luck (yet).
Avast! Internet Security leaves a bunch of registry-keys behind which are NEVER cleaned during upgrades it seems.
Legacy-drivers are left behind etc.
No information is given by support in regard to registry-keys used by the various version of the product (yet).
I have not even seen a detailed list of files (executables + dll's) which are dropped on your harddrive by this product.

Manually cleaning the registry also involves having to (re)set permissiosn on various keys. Without the correct permissions you are basically unable to remove them.
Think (re)setting ownerships on various registry-keys.

All in all slacking support.
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!