Author Topic: Strange problem with avast webrep & adblocker in IE9  (Read 3464 times)

Offline catinahat

Strange problem with avast webrep & adblocker in IE9
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:13:30 AM »
I noticed this issue after reading a thread below about the Avast Adblock button in IE. Curious to see if I was affected by this error too I opened IE and was unable to find the Adblock button at all. I viewed the screen dump image that the OP in said thread posted to see if I could work out what I was supposed to be seeing, and I realised that not only am I missing the Adblock button, I am also missing the little webrep browser button too. Further investigation shows that MyWOT button is also missing, and when I bring up a google search there are no avast OR MyWOT ratings next to each result. I know that they both used to be there (in searches and as buttons on the top of the browser), but because I rarely use IE I cannot tell you how long ago webrep and mywot went missing. I am certain that the adblock button was never there as I didn't see an odd new browser button after installing it. There is no drop down arrow next to the other icons (such as bluetooth, help, tools, ghostery etc) and the buttons that do show are definitely not them.

A check of my addons in "manage addons" in IE confirms both webrep, avast! adblock and mywot are all installed and enabled. I had to install the avast adblocker to IE (via avast settings) separately after upgrading to version 8 as I had simple adblock for IE installed when I upgraded. I have disabled simple adblock and installed avast! adblock for IE and as I said - it's listed there in my addons and shows as enabled OK, and shows as installed in the avast settings.

This problem is confined to IE only. I am not using avast adblock in FF as I have existing ADB+ and am happy with it, and google searches show mywot & webrep as well as all browser buttons OK in FF.

This isn't a huge deal as I rarely use IE, but I'm just wondering if anyone might have the same issue and if anyone has any thoughts?

avast! 8.0.1483.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:16:51 AM by catinahat »

Offline catinahat

Re: Strange problem with avast webrep & adblocker in IE9
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:36:58 PM »
So I have partly solved the problem. I found a suggestion in the FAQ for WOT for missing browser buttons and it said to make sure "enable third party browser extensions" is ticked in "advanced tab" in IE options. Ticking this & re-launching IE has brought the avast! webrep & WOT browser buttons back, however no avast! adboclk button.

Any suggestions for what could be wrong that I don't have the avast! adblock button in IE9? It is installed and enabled in the "manage addons".

Sutieday

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:57:08 PM »
The Icon should be in the "status bar" enable it by right clicking the top area in IE9

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:57:52 PM »
Make sure that the Status Bar is enabled in IE9.  You can get there by clicking Tools -> Toolbars -> Status Bar.
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline catinahat

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 11:12:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The "status bar" was enabled already. I tried unticking & reticking it but no effect.

Offline catinahat

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 11:40:37 PM »
Mystery solved!!

The problem was I didn't fully uninstall Simple Ablock - I just disabled it in the "manage addons". I have now uninstalled Simple Adblock and I have the avast! adblock button showing. :)

(I should have thought of this already...)