Author Topic: Can't Send/Recieve Gmail Since Upgrade  (Read 2874 times)

monicakm

Can't Send/Recieve Gmail Since Upgrade
« on: March 25, 2013, 06:29:39 PM »
I'm clicking on Avast/Free/Pro/Suite and am landing on a "Child beta" forum??
Don't know what else to do so I'll post here and if need be, a moderator can move my thread.  Thanks

Just a few days ago, I let Avast update to the latest version.  I had company coming for the weekend, was in hurry
and haven't been on the computer much but noticed that after the update, I could no longer send and receive
email (via WLM).  I remember reading something about SSL in this update but was in a hurry, didn't make
the change that I "think" it said to make  :-[  I've gone into the properties of WLM and my gmail acct, checked/unchecked
SSL settings....that may not even be what I was supposed to do.   Could this be an Avast issue and if not,
would someone be able to point me in the direction where  I can find help for this?  This is the error message I'm getting:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Gmail (xxxxxxxx) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop.googlemail.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Can't Send/Recieve Gmail Since Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:44:01 PM »
Server: 'pop.googlemail.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No
in your mail client.....try setting back to default Gmail port settings

smtp 465
pop. 995
SSL yes

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:46:36 PM by Pondus »

monicakm

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »
 :D  Well thank you, thank you!  It's working and now I have a TON of mail to sort thru ;) 
Can you explain to me why this needed to be done and are there any negatives to this setting (like why did I need the previous settings?)

Thanks again! 
290 new emails...whew!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:27:12 PM »
the SSL scan settings in avast changed with avast 8
in avast7 you had to use standard pop settings in the client and use the SSL settings in avast 7 so that avast would do the SSL connection for it to be able to scan SSL secured accounts

this have changed with avast 8....exactely how it works in avast 8 i do not know but guess there is something that detect the settings and does this automatic now

and just so you know....Gmail protect all accounts with postini spam/virus filter using two AV engines from Authentium and McAfee

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:28:44 PM by Pondus »

monicakm

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 07:48:45 PM »
>>and just so you know....Gmail protect all accounts with postini spam/virus filter using two AV engines from Authentium and McAfee<<

Hope that's a good thing.  It sounds good ;)

Thanks again!