Author Topic: avast 8 upgrade broke avast, help?  (Read 5645 times)

Offline av4me

avast 8 upgrade broke avast, help?
« on: March 08, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
My avast 8 upgrade from 7 somehow got stuck in a very bad state.

This is on windows xp 32-bit

The avast UI icon starts but with an X and the actual service is not started.

I look in the windows services and avast is off but I cannot start it manually (and won't start automatically).

I then manually downloaded avast 8 and tried to install it but it locks and crashes on part 2 of the install.

I saw a message at one point that it cannot install because avast is upgrading.

Is there maybe a flag that has to be cleared in the registry to allow it to manually install again over itself?

I am comfortable using regedit and such.

Thank you for any assistance.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: avast 8 upgrade broke avast, help?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »
Which avast!..?? (Free/Pro/IS/Premier)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »
Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and select Repair, click next and follow.

If that doesn't work the failed update may have corrupted the current version, so it may be best to do a clean reinstall of avast 8 (this assumes you are using the free version):
- Download the latest version of avast, 8.0.1483 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will reguest it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline av4me

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 02:22:02 PM »
Sorry it's avast free

The repair trick unfortunately hasn't fixed it.

Going to try the full blown uninstall with aswclear

It's really strange because the UI is 8.0 but after the repair it shows all the file info as 7.0

So it's definitely stuck between versions.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
Yes, sometimes there is an out of sync issue between what is reported as the build version and what is displayed, the repair usually resolves that. But this appears a little more complex, hopefully the clean reinstall of avast8 will do the job.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline av4me

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 02:36:34 PM »
Actually, even after a clean uninstall, the fancy 8.0 installer is still very slow and times out.

How can I get 7.0 back

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline av4me

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »
Has anyone else under XP mentioned problems with a very slow install interface under 8.0 ?

I literally can count to 30 between setup panels.

It looks like it's overwriting the native windows UI box with it's own graphical UI, is there a way to maybe turn that off to see what is happening and maybe solve the delay?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 02:45:32 PM »
Has anyone else under XP mentioned problems with a very slow install interface under 8.0 ?

Not yet, you're the first who reports such an issue.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »

I literally can count to 30 between setup panels.

It looks like it's overwriting the native windows UI box with it's own graphical UI, is there a way to maybe turn that off to see what is happening and maybe solve the delay?

As you can tell from my signature I'm using XP Pro and don't see any slow install, but I really don't know what you mean by "a very slow install interface under 8.0" ?

When you mention the word 'install' and 'interface' together I don't know if you only mean the installation process, which, yes there will be delays between the various steps of the installation, but that may be dependant on your system spec (CPU, RAM and any other applications running in the background, etc.). Any delay in my case was down to my answering/responding to selections and I usually do screen captures at every step documenting it in
case I have any issues to report.

That said when it is installed what does it matter how long the steps take, which makes me wonder if this isn't something else you are talking about or you wouldn't be considering avast 7. Which in essence had the same custom interface (but different look) and not a default windows UI.

So we really need more detailed information to be able to give meaningful help.

Offline av4me

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 04:27:30 PM »
Believe it or not I am still struggling with this.

Avast 7 av free went though it's paces but after reboot there is nothing there in the c:\program files\avast or avast software directories.

BTW I fortunately saved an avastconfig file, how do I restore that assuming I ever get this working again?

Offline av4me

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 06:19:10 PM »
Whew, finally!

Just in case it helps anyone else, what I had to do was rip out all avast.

Then I had to go all the way back to Avast 5.1

Once it was running smoothly, I told it to upgrade the program, which jumped it to 8.0

Sigh, 5.1 was SO fast compared to 8.0, but yeah maybe less protection.

Avast is getting a little carried away, they need to make a light or LTS version.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Use avast uninstall tool at safe mode.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 07:25:17 PM »
Use avast uninstall tool at safe mode.

The latest Uninstall Utility aswClear.exe will ask you to run it in safe mode and will also handle the boot into safe mode.

CASHOUT

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 10:08:46 PM »
I've been on another thread trying to solve Avast update problem, seems similar giving RPC error when trying to register. i'm on XP-PRO Sp3.
I've seen on other threads that people with XP-PRO were having issues.

• I've removed anything to do with security from my computer.
    I've remove Avast using it's installer in "safe mod".
    I've reinstalled a new downloaded version of  Avast 8.
    It works perfect, updates, all sub apps work perfect. BUT, when I shut off my computer & restart--- the Avast in the tray has x, shows it isn't started,
    Won't start from "resolve"(everything freezes with Resolve).
     I tried the repair in the uninstall from control panel. It shows repaired but nothing changed, still un-started.
    It also says my membership has zero days to register at the top of Avast control. But,  shows I'm good until Mar 2014 in the body of control panel.
THE STRANGE PART, IN "WINDOWS SECURITY CENTER" IT SHOWS AVAST IS RUNNING FINE (it says Avast reports system is protected) BUT, AVAST ICON IN THE TRAY AND THE AVAST CONTROL PANEL SAYS IT'S NOT WORKING. 
Please help I've been working on this for 7 days. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:26:10 PM by CASHOUT »