Author Topic: WHY is Chrome a part of Avast 8 installer?  (Read 30643 times)

Fred S

WHY is Chrome a part of Avast 8 installer?
« on: March 09, 2013, 08:59:19 PM »
I am not happy that Avast has chosen to package another software product within the installer (Chrome). If and when I want Chrome, then I WILL install it.

It disturbs me even more that there is no option to NOT accept Chrome as a part of the installation and it even sets itself as the default browser. This is what "bad" freeware products do all the time and Avast, which is a high quality product, should NOT be doing this stuff.

Did I miss something? ... or is there a way to stop the install of Chrome and the software updater during the setup of Avast 8? This option as well as others should be a part of a Manual vs Automatic installation.

I'm really worried about this because I handle issues for many friends/users who are not literate and if there is no way to stop this stuff during the install, I will have to move them over to MS Security Essentials.

I would appreciate any ideas on stopping installation of Chrome without me having to do it for all my users.

Fred

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: WHY is Chrome a part of Avast 8 installer?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:13:48 PM »
Hi and Welcome: I believe when/if you choose "Custom" install the option to install or not is shown.
I personally never advise the "default" installation of any software. Always take a look at the Custom install option. ;) :)

Fred S

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »
Thanks for your comment, but I chose to update the program from within Avast 7 - it went ahead and did its own thing, never got an option to choose Custom install.

If that works, then I'll advise my users to REMOVE the previous install and start from scratch but that will be a pain and likely require a couple re-boots and more time wasted.

Thanks for the info and thank God they have an option in a new install, at least,
Fred

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 09:28:47 PM »
Thanks for your comment, but I chose to update the program from within Avast 7 - it went ahead and did its own thing, never got an option to choose Custom install.

If that works, then I'll advise my users to REMOVE the previous install and start from scratch but that will be a pain and likely require a couple re-boots and more time wasted.

Thanks for the info and thank God they have an option in a new install, at least,
Fred

You are welcome.
If I remember correctly,when ever I have update/upgraded and have installed the program (via installer) directly over the existing version I have then been given the option to choose Chrome installation.
Recently however, I have upgraded via GUI and have not worried about Chrome installation as it is one of the Browsers I use. :)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:24:23 PM »
When I updated the 2 machines in my signature via the AvastUI from Avast 7.0.1474 to 8.0.1482, on the WinXP desktop I was presented with the Chrome install which was selected by default.  I deselected both options on that page.  On my Win7 laptop, I wasn't given the option page during upgrade.  In neither case was Google Chrome installed.  When Toshiba built the laptop, Chrome was installed when I got it and I removed it immediately, never using it.  Perhaps Avast update picks up on that also.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »
When I updated the 2 machines in my signature via the AvastUI from Avast 7.0.1474 to 8.0.1482, on the WinXP desktop I was presented with the Chrome install which was selected by default.  I deselected both options on that page.  On my Win7 laptop, I wasn't given the option page during upgrade.  In neither case was Google Chrome installed.  When Toshiba built the laptop, Chrome was installed when I got it and I removed it immediately, never using it.  Perhaps Avast update picks up on that also.

Good point. I believe now my XP did offer option to de-select and my Win 8 didn't. Sometimes it hard to recall just which system responded it what way :P ;)

supergills

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 01:39:11 AM »
I have to say I am absolutely livid about this.  I also upgraded from within the product and, despite what others may or may not claim, I was not offered any option to decide whether to install Chrome or not, nor was there any indication that Chrome would be installed.
As a software developer of over 20 years I find this kind of practice completely unpalatable and unprofessional.

iroc9555

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 02:28:49 AM »
Default or custom installation. Win XP, Vista, W7, or 8. Clean install or upgrade (within the program). Avast! always shows the window where it offers Google Toolbar and Chrome. If it is a clean install, it shows it at the beggining. See screenshot ( It is in Spanish because I am in S.A. ). If it is an upgrade, after reboot (Sorry don't have an image for it).

If it does not show it, something was not right with the install and it is better to either reinstall Avast! or run an Avast! Repair.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:56:25 AM by iroc9555 »

cooby

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 02:50:34 AM »
Default or custom installation. Win XP, Vista, W7, or 8. Clean install or upgrade (within the program). Avast! always shows the window where it offers Google Toolbar and Chrome. If it is a clean install, it show it at the beggining. See screenshot ( It is in Spanish because I am in S.A. ). If it is an upgrade, after reboot (Sorry don't have an image for it).
Correct. Same here. The option is always shown after a reboot which is always required on new version. Just uncheck as shown in the screenshot above and it will not install Chrome.

And yes, I, too, wish Avast would remove the Chrome suggestion.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:52:20 AM by cooby »

mjt

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 01:34:42 PM »
I also upgraded from within the product and, despite what others may or may not claim, I was not offered any option to decide whether to install Chrome or not, nor was there any indication that Chrome would be installed.
As a software developer of over 20 years I find this kind of practice completely unpalatable and unprofessional.
I totally agree. I had exactly the same experience. Running Win7 Proff. When the update window presented there was no option NOT to install Chrome nor any indication that it was being installed, other than that the update took a very long time.

It is totally unacceptable to silently install unwanted software. I presume Avast have some tie-up with Google that makes them money each time Chrome is installed. Personally I will never purchase software from any company that operates in this way.

I've also been getting very hacked off with Avast Software Updater, another piece of unwanted software that was similarly silently included in the update. I have now uninstalled it as I already have my software set up to notify me of updates.

It's not that long ago that there was a lot of criticism about Avast updating to the full trial version without offering an obvious choice (there was one but you had to jump through a few hoops to find it). One would have thought they would have learnt lessons from that. I really don't know why they still think doing these kinds of things is a good idea. I'm seriously considering junking Avast in favour of MSE, which I'm already trialling on another computer.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »
Unpalatable, Unprofessional, Unacceptable????
Well it seems to me to be such a 'small thing' to get so bent out of shape about. ::)
In my over 20 years on computers, I have had tool bars and crap etc. installed without my noticing (no often, but occasionally) and I simply go to programs and "uninstall them"
Geeez whatever!

mjt

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 05:20:49 PM »
Yes, unpalatable, unprofessional and unacceptable!

I've no quibble with Avast pushing this software in order to make some money out of their free product but I strongly object to them putting it on my machine without my knowledge and consent. It's a question of trust. If Avast breaks that trust I'll simply stop using their product and move elsewhere.

As for your 'toolbars and other crap' I would wager that there was always a checkbox to enable you to refuse if you had stopped to look for it. I can't think of any other software supplier I've used where unwanted additions have been installed without my knowledge. Reputable companies don't generally behave in such an underhand way.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 05:25:15 PM »
Yes, unpalatable, unprofessional and unacceptable!

I've no quibble with Avast pushing this software in order to make some money out of their free product but I strongly object to them putting it on my machine without my knowledge and consent. It's a question of trust. If Avast breaks that trust I'll simply stop using their product and move elsewhere.

As for your 'toolbars and other crap' I would wager that there was always a checkbox to enable you to refuse if you had stopped to look for it. I can't think of any other software supplier I've used where unwanted additions have been installed without my knowledge. Reputable companies don't generally behave in such an underhand way.

Post #7
Chrome isn't installed without anyone's knowledge.
Never Has been for me!
Who's not paying attention ;)

mjt

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »
Ok. So where is the option in this screen which comes up when updates are notified from within the application? If you click the Update button for the Essential update it just goes ahead and installs the update plus Chrome and Avast Software Updater with no further user intervention.

Trust me - I do pay attention!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:31:58 PM by mjt »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 07:47:51 PM »
I've never had it install Chrome for me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:49:28 PM by Gopher John »
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner