Author Topic: Latest program update shows from 7.0.1474 to 7.0.1483 but installs 8.0.1483  (Read 13223 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
If the program shows 7.0.1483 using the "prescription" above, then it's most likely 7.0.1474 whose data files got corrupted to that it shows a wrong version (and it's possible that such a version will never be able to update to a later build). Or, it could also be 8.0.1483 whose files were not properly updated.

As David said, there's no 7.0.1483 build; there's only build 1474 (being version seven), and build 1483 (being version eight). The major version shown in the program UI is just "cosmetics" (it's one number stored somewhere, not associated with any features). The build number is what matters (if updated properly though).

Krang

@igor

I never said it was a prescription to anything - merely that I had what was said to not exist, and posted the steps by which I came across it in case anyone else wanted to see what they could see with it.  I even posted several warnings about using that method, and that it would be better to stay with 7.0.1474 as opposed to forcing the version that I had for those that wanted to stay with ver. 7 for now.

I'm not sure if you're implying that I'm attempting to make people damage their systems, but review of my posts would show that's clearly not the case.

Upon further inspection, if you attempt to search for version updates manually (since the system shows that 7.0.1483 is up to date), it will skip straight to step 3/3 and install ver. 8.  As such, it doesn't seem to break the program at all in respect to updating - it will follow the standard progression from 7.0.1474 to 8.0.1483 if allowed to do so.

Running a system scan with 7.0.1483 shows no errors.  This was found to be the case on two systems.

Running a system scan with 7.0.1483 later allowed to update to 8.0.1483 shows no errors.  This was only tested on one system thus far.

Running a system scan with 7.0.1474 updated directly to 8.0.1483 in a standard manner resulted in several flagged Avast files.  This was tested on a system that never had Avast installed, so there could be no conflict from a previous installation.  I'll be testing a direct installation of 8.0.1483 to see if that resolves the issue.

EDIT:
I've since run a check for corrupted files and found none on the systems that had an interrupted update, then progressed to 8.0.1483.  I've also added in the optional modules and run another system scan - no errors.

However, as with the system that had a standard install/update, the Software Updater and Browser Cleanup are both having issues:
- Browser Cleanup keeps insisting that I need to close Explorer to continue, but Explorer is not open
- Software Updater endlessly prepares to check for updates for Java
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:50:38 AM by Krang »