Author Topic: Latest program update shows from 7.0.1474 to 7.0.1483 but installs 8.0.1483  (Read 13222 times)

csave

For those of us that have elected to stay with Avast Free version 7, be aware that the Program Update shows there is an update from version 7.0.1474 to version 7.0.1483.

This is false.

If you tell it to do a program update, it will install version 8.0.1483 - NOT 7.0.1483.

I would recommend to the Avast staff that is working hard on all the fixes, to either fix the notice that a version 7.0.1483 exists or rename it to show it is actually version 8.0.1483 and not 7.0.1483.

For those of us having problems with version 8 and have given up for a while trying to fix all those problems, I would recommend loading version 7.0.1474 and setting your option for Program Updates to 'Manual' for a month or so until the Avast team can work out all the bugs that everyone is running into with version 8.

I have always loved Avast and there simply is not anything that can beat it when it comes to a Free Antivirus - and I've tested them all!! (at least it seems like it..... lol)

A side note: Avira comes close but has too many annoyances that makes me not even want to run it. (Annoying full size pop up ads unless you install their toolbar, NO MAIL protection!!, borders on hijacking in my opinion because of default install wanting to install toolbar AND take over search options, the fact they need to run a toolbar even to catch web infections.)

Anyways, free is free I guess.

Do read the first line of this posting though because I just ran into this and had to remove everything and reinstall 7.0.1474 again.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:38:29 PM by csave »

Samson63

Thanks for the "Heads Up" csave.

I had noticed this too and was wondering if it was an update for v7, clearly not from what you are saying. I want to stick with v7 for now and do not want to update to v8, at least not until the dust settles  ;)

Thanks again, a useful post.

J.Stalin

Yes this should be fixed immediately. A small error, but may cause a lot of frustration for those who don't want the new silly win8 telephone interface.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
This needs to be fixed, but where's the "silly win8 telephone interface"?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline A. User

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:46:22 PM by liubomirwm »

Offline davexnet

• Poster
The filehippo link is bad.
Although the page relates to version 7.0.1474, when you click download,
the latest version 8 downloads.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The filehippo link is bad.
Although the page relates to version 7.0.1474, when you click download,
the latest version 8 downloads.

Use the FileHippo Mirror link site after having selected 7.0.1474, you then get the correct version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline A. User

csave

Yes, I too got the old 7.0.1474 from the 'oldapps' site to reinstall. I noticed the filehippo file size was larger than that of oldapps one, so used the oldapps installer.

There does not appear to be a 7.0.1483 so will be sticking with 7.0.1474 for a while.

Funny thing too is that there actually is a YouTube video out there of someone updating from 7.0.1474 to 7.0.1483. Watched the video and fell asleep 2 seconds into it. (jk). It shows him clicking on 'Update Program' in the GUI, waiting for it to update, then showing it was done. THAT WAS IT!!?? Noticed at the end of his video though that he did not reboot his machine and show the new version. Some people have waaayyy too much time on their hands.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:06:47 PM by csave »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
There isn't a 7.0.1483 version and there never will be the .1483 is a build number and would never be associated with avast 7.0. It is/was just incorrectly reported in the avast version and is associated with avast 8.0.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline A. User

7.0.1483 means 8.0.1483.

Offline A. User

Does the link works?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:22:47 PM by liubomirwm »

Krang

There isn't a 7.0.1483 version and there never will be

I told my laptop to update, and when it looked like it was downloading an installer, combined with my experience with "new and improved" Win 8 versions of programs I've tested, I wanted to cancel.  Since this is just a backup computer, I didn't mind if it got messed up and forced a reboot in the middle of the update.  When Windows came back up, it said I was all updated with 7.0.1483

I installed again on another computer to change it from MSE, and ran the updater without interrupting it.  When it finished, it told me to reboot, and I had 8.0.1483.  I'll have to try the reboot interrupt again and see if that works twice, or if I just got lucky - feel free to try it at your own risk and post any results here, though.

I've been messing with the new version and comparing its settings to 7.  All in all, it's not NEARLY as bad as some other programs trying to make the Win 8 leap (Bit Defender, Comodo, etc), but it does still have bugs, and I don't like being abruptly switched to a new version of a program with a completely new layout without at least a head's-up like "Click here to install the latest Avast! 8" with a small text link to stay with 7 (kinda like how their custom installation link is set up).

Currently, I've run into the following issues:
- Crashed while registering
- Browser clean-up will not stop telling me that I need to complete manual steps
- Software updater fails to update Adobe Reader
- Extending the window tall enough to remove the scroll bar on the Scan Now page causes the Quick Scan option to clip halfway out of the viewable area

Also, maybe I'm missing it, but I cannot find Browser Protection - did these options get shuffled into other things?

Conclusion being that I'm a little miffed that they handled things this way (it's what made me dump Zone Alarm a long time ago), but I'm willing to give it a shot.  Hopefully these bugs get worked out, and I'll just stick with what is an otherwise solid looking program.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:49:41 AM by Krang »

true indian

@Krang

Run the uninstaller for any AV's you used prior to avast from here to remove remanents: http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/
1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117113.0
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed avast! versions..!!)
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot

Krang

@True

I'll give that a shot on the system that I intend to keep running ver. 8 on and see if it fixes anything - I was planning on trying an un/reinstall since I ran a scan last night and Avast was flagging some of its own files, but I'll follow those steps to make sure I do it properly.  Thanks for the info.

As for recreating the results, I was able to do it.  I now have two systems running with 7.0.1483.  Since it has been mentioned this version apparently is not supposed to exist, I have no idea what it means to have it - if it is unstable or not, I can't say.  If anyone wants to test it, here is how to do it AT YOUR OWN RISK:

NOTE: This was done with the free antivirus package.  I cannot say what will result with any other package.

- Install the OldApps version 7.0.1474 linked elsewhere in this thread
- Open Avast
- On Current Status page, click the update link next to the version number
- Let the program download all update files (step 1/3)
- When the process reaches step 2/3, reboot your system
- You will most likely get a pop-up telling you to finish your installation of the new version of Avast
- Click Finish

At that point, you should be able to open Avast and see 7.0.1483.  I would recommend rebooting again just to make sure that won't change on you, but it stayed on that version for me on two systems after rebooting.

Again, I only recommend this for people that want to test the stability of it.  If anyone wants to stay on ver. 7, I would instead recommend installing 7.0.1474 and setting updates to manual until a more stable release of 8 is available.