Author Topic: ICSA Cleaning Certification  (Read 2780 times)

Voltorb

ICSA Cleaning Certification
« on: March 03, 2005, 05:43:45 PM »
I have a corporate customer (several thousand desktops) who asked me why Avast is not ICSA certified for cleaning (only detection).  They're currently using a competitive product, and I'm trying to get them to switch.  I know (from searching) how some of you feel about these test, but their only concern (since the last certification was in June) is what the issues were, and have they been fixed.  Thanks in advance for your response!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: ICSA Cleaning Certification
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:31:43 PM »
I'm not sure about the current status of the "cleaning" test (ICSA cleaning certifacation test) but AFAIK cleaning per se has been regarded more or less as an anachronism (especially in the corporate enviroment). I mean, no one is CLEANING viruses anymore. Once a machine has been compromised (infected), it's usually much much easier / faster to simply reimage (reinstall) it.

This may be because most of recent infections are in fact worms - so there is really not much to "clean" (clean=delete files and registry entries). Classic viruses (file infectors) are pretty rare now...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 11:45:18 PM »
Just a thought.

Perhaps you can put Avast on some of their machines, so they can see for theirselfs how Avast works.
It is after al the real world and not the paper world where Avast must do its job ;)

Voltorb

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 01:04:31 PM »
Thanks for your input!  In fact, I am currently implementing Avast in the company at just one of their sites.  It's going pretty well except for a few issues with ADNM that should be fixed very soon.  Sometimes I get asked a question, and feel it's best to ask the experts rather than guess or give my opinion immediately.  Thanks again!