Author Topic: Avast Temp  (Read 8258 times)

larouse

Avast Temp
« on: March 01, 2005, 06:09:32 PM »
Using Avast4.

Why does it keep creating so many temp files starting with JET. Is it not possible for the program to clean these out after use. The temp folder is going to fill up very quickly with all these.

It also creates its own temp subfolder and then not uses it to keep them. They go in the main temp folder and the subfolder is left empty. Why is this.

If the program used the subfolder it created to dump its temps then it would be easy to clean them out every week or so with a single folder delete. Can a path be changed somewhere to rectify all these happenings

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast Temp
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 07:51:11 PM »
The Jet* files are created by Microsoft Jet drivers (used by avast!). If they are left in the TEMP file, I suggest to update these drivers (downloadable from Microsoft as MDAC package).
Or, if you have avast! 4 Home, you may switch the avast! database from ODBC to XML - that will prevent avast! from using these drivers (in <avast4>\Data\avast4.ini, change the line Database=ODBC into Database=XML).

larouse

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 09:27:14 PM »
I have AVAST Pro are the same instructions ?

Thank you,

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 10:01:27 PM »
Not really - switching avast! Pro to XML storage is not a good idea.
Try to update the Jet drivers (MDAC package) and see if it helps.

What operating system do you have, btw?

larouse

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 01:08:59 AM »
Sorry but I don't know How can Updtae the Jet Drivers ???????

I am using Win XP PRO with SP-1

Thank you,

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 09:40:24 AM »
They can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/data
(MDAC package).

larouse

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 01:10:49 PM »
Thank you and Which is the correct Download :

MDAC Downloads

MDAC 2.8
MDAC 2.8 SDK
MDAC 2.7 Service Pack 1 Refresh
MDAC 2.6 Service Pack 2
MDAC 2.5 Service Pack 3

Or

Jet 4.0 SP8 for Windows XP

Thank you

Newton

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 08:59:52 PM »
Thanks for your links guys, as it's always such a PITA to find anything on the Microsoft pages. ;D

But in my case, after installing both upgrades for my OS (Win ME) the antivirus still generates those empty temp files.

Oh well, no big deal, as they all weight 0 bytes. I guess I'll have to delete them manually from time to time.

I wonder if there's any particular command I could use in a Windows .bat file in order to get rid of all temp files at start-up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 09:45:59 PM »
I wonder if there's any particular command I could use in a Windows .bat file in order to get rid of all temp files at start-up.

Oh you can make it...
But there are a lot of applications that do it for free: BeClean, Internet Sweeper, etc.
You can Google or find some hints into 'Links' in my signature  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 10:30:45 PM »
Well, it's normal that there are 2 empty files there when avast! is running - but they should be deleted on restart, i.e. they shouldn't multiply...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 11:10:21 PM »
Not really - switching avast! Pro to XML storage is not a good idea.
Try to update the Jet drivers (MDAC package) and see if it helps.

What operating system do you have, btw?

Why Igor ? Can you please explain this little bit closer ? I'm running avast! Pro and I've always had avast! storage set as XML inside my avast4.ini file. I really never had any visible problems, although I don't know what's happening in background... that's why I wonder why is not a good idea to switch from ODBC to XML if you use Pro version...

Thanks in advance !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 02:48:19 AM »
Why Igor?

ODBC makes it possible to store the past sessions in the Professional version - which is not possible with XML (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=3900.msg28272#msg28272)

The best I could found...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10050.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=4436.msg32193#msg32193
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=3034.msg21819#msg21819

But I think Igor could put it in better words...
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 09:30:16 AM »
Yes, XML storage doesn't make it possible to store results of previous sessions.
Appart from that, Enhanced User Interface behaves "strange" when switched to XML storage - when a task is started, another instance of it appears in the list (of the tasks, not of the corresponding sessions!). I must admit I didn't explore the problem deeper yet, so I'm not sure if it's a bug or just something caused by the inability to store additional info in the storage - but simply said, XML storage is currently considered just a backup option for avast! Home.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 12:29:34 PM »
Great, thanks to both of you... fast help as always !!!  :)

Thanks guys !

Switching to ODBC amd restarting my system... 3 - 2 - 1 .................
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s