Author Topic: Seven days later & still struggling to fix my computer after Avast 8 update  (Read 16642 times)

Amess

The fix given by Avast for update 8 does not autorun & because my computer will not boot into windows following the Avast 8 update, it remains on a loop, booting only so far into windows before it restarts again. Entering safe mode is not possible either. Any advice appreciated. I have read a lot of the posts but I cannot find a solution. 7 days since the update and I and many others still do not have a functioning computer.

true indian

Run the uninstaller for any AV's you used prior to avast from here to remove remanents: http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/
1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117113.0
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed avast! versions..!!)
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot

notsokeennow

I have the same problem and got the same advice from true indian.

All fine and dandy if you can get and use the uninstall download but I can't and it sounds like you are in the same boat.

My computer is effectively dead at the moment, unable to access any programme or utility.

freak777

I have the same problem and got the same advice from true indian.

All fine and dandy if you can get and use the uninstall download but I can't and it sounds like you are in the same boat.

My computer is effectively dead at the moment, unable to access any programme or utility.
also my pc would die if I did not have a previous disk image with Acronis,with another AV installed.when i have removed avast 8, I no longer had any internet connection,and no technician told me how to do, in this forum.to you the conclusions.
I recommend using Acronis True Image, money well spent. it saves the life of the PC, and avoid countless hours of struggling,in cases like this.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:35:35 PM by freak777 »

to1step

hello people! I'm italian, so forgive my bad english.
i had the same problem since installing Avast 8, but i didn't realized at first, I had some issue on my pc, file system kind.
my problem was that rebooting after some checkdisk, the system didn't load windows, the screen was black with the cursor. the same if I tried to enter the safe mode: black screen with cursor. I tried to go back to the last configuration working and luckily!, that worked! but you cannot do that evry single time you reboot your pc, do you? so, I uninstalled avast 8, using awsclear in safe mode, rebooted and installed avast 7 again, thanks god i had the installer still saved on my pc. for me, it worked. no more black screen
hope it helps

true indian

1. avast! v8 GUI -> Settings -> Troubleshooting -> Enable: "Load avast! services only after other system services"
2. Click OK.
3. Reboot.

mnjack82

I had similar issues after an involuntary upgrade/free trial.   My Vista computer would not boot -  it froze during the boot up process and the repair facility did a system restore which got the computer working for 1 day and then it crashed again, followed by a freeze.  I uninstalled the free trial upgrade (Is that Avast 8?)  and reinstalled the free version.  One of the shields did not work on the free version and one day later the computer crashed again.  This time I couldn't boot up at all, but finally managed to get into safe mode where I was able to uninstall Avast completely using your uninstall program.   Then I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, so after using Avast Free for at least 5 years it has been removed from my other computer.   Now this one has a free trial ticking down and it looks like I may be forced to do the same here.

true indian

The best option would be to uninstall avast in safe mode with aswclear:
avast.com/uninstall-utility

and switch back to avast 7 and await a program update fix:
http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

Amess

I cannot apply the fixes suggested because I am unable to enter Safe Mode as I explained in my initial post. The silence from the Avast team is deafening.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Is there a reason you can't enter safe mode ?

The avast uninstall utility (aswclear.exe), will suggest running in safe mode if you run it in normal mode; it will handle the boot into safe mode (hence my question) for you if you answer Yes when it pops the question.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

the_doc

Yup - I could of had the same problem, but there are solutions out there that completely monitor ALL computer changes and can undo any problems within a reboot.
V8 screwed up my computer as well, but with a simple reboot to a set previous configuration it is ALL gone and back to a functioning v7!

Installing new software can be like russian roulette - you take your chances.
I don't like taking chances.

freak777

Is there a reason you can't enter safe mode ?

The avast uninstall utility (aswclear.exe), will suggest running in safe mode if you run it in normal mode; it will handle the boot into safe mode (hence my question) for you if you answer Yes when it pops the question.
Meanwhile, no one answers here about the loss of internet connection after uninstalling avast 8.I would like to understand why no one can say anything to resolve the issue.any advice given (use the tool in safe mode etc.) did not solve the problem.perhaps it would be appropriate to release a new build that removes all traces of avast after uninstalling, and that does not kill the internet connection.
please,users,moderators,read this:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116901.msg908169#msg908169
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 04:14:12 PM by freak777 »

Offline A. User

Here are instructions how to boot into safe mode using the system configuration manager : http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/smsysconfig.htm
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:45:44 PM by liubomirwm »

Pishaw

Amess, is it possible you have an x64 version of Windows? I suffered long boot times (on the order of five minutes) with Win 7 x64, as did others. Removed Avast, no problems. And this last week, three of my clients PCs (that I had recommended Avast to) were experiencing the same problem after updating. One of them would not boot at all in any way. I was able to save his data using an OS on a stick, but I still spent three hours reinstalling and updating Windows. There will be no Avast in the future for me, after six years of being entirely happy with it.

And you will get no help here, e.g. "why can't you boot into safe mode?". Because the computer won't boot. That's what you said. Apparently the part of your post(s) that explained the computer would not boot were lacking in some way. But I get it; it won't start at all. And the implication that your problem is caused by your lack of ability in some way will come up repeatedly. That is not 'customer support', it's more like a cult. You don't need to be here.

You can use a computer that WILL boot to create a self-contained OS on a USB drive (I use Universal USB Installer and Ubuntu) to get whatever files you'd like to save (music, docs, pictures, software installation files, etc.) off you HDD, and reformat and reinstall. That is about the only choice you have now.

Or you can stay here and have the 'support' people tell you that it's all your fault and you need to boot into safe mode and no one else is having a problem. It's up to you.

Amess

My OS is Windows XP SP3 32 bit. I tried running the aswclear.exe from a disk even though I could not enter safe mode I knew it would not work but I was grasping at straws. Thank you Pishaw for your constructive advice it looks like this is the only avenue I am left with. All this frustration, time and inconvenience that it has caused and yet AVAST are not addressing these issues. I should imagine there are people unable to voice their problems because they have a broken computer and so unable to get onto the internet. Luckily I have a tablet so at least I can try to search for some answers that may help me to fix this mess.