Author Topic: Avast Mobile Security bricked my phone!  (Read 4561 times)

csabo87

Avast Mobile Security bricked my phone!
« on: March 07, 2013, 03:43:55 AM »
 My main phone broke, so I went to reactivate my old one, Virgin Mobile USA's Motorola Triumph, which I haven't used for about a year.

Anyway, Avast has basically taken over the Triumph. About 5 seconds after my phone successfully boots, there's a siren sound and a voice that says, "This phone has been lost or stolen." Then it takes me to a screen that asks for my pin. Keep in mind, I do know the pin, but the phone ALWAYS restarts when I click in the box to enter the code.

One of these times, I actually did get the code in, and the phone unlocked, only to restart itself seconds later. After the reboot, the same thing happened. Is there anyway I can fix this? The app is saved on the phone's internal memory, so I can't just delete it off the SD card.

I appreciate any help.

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast Mobile Security bricked my phone!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:35:15 AM »
Hello,

I don't see how this could be related to our app. There must be some other things troubling your Triumph.
Still I have a suggestion:
- get into the recovery mode
- perform a hard reset

I found a "how-to" guide for you:

1. Press and hold the POWER key and both volume keys
2. Continue to hold all 3 keys until an exclamation point and a little green android robot appear
3. Press the HOME key to display the menu
4. Navigate using the volume keys
5. Select Wipe data/factory reset
6. Use the BACK key to select
7. Scroll down to Yes delete all user data
8. Use the BACK key to select
9. Select reboot system now

csabo87

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:33:20 PM »
I don't think you understand. The app prevents me from performing any of those things. There is a 5-10 second period from the time the phone turns on to the point Avast turns it off. I know the code, but the shotty programming of the earlier Avast program installed shuts the phone down even AFTER I put in the correct code. Your app has always been reliable, but now it's responsible for ruining a $250 phone.

I have the box, receipt, proof of purchase, ect. Hell, I could even post a video on here of Avast shutting down my phone even after entering the correct code.

From what I can see, a few people on here have situations where Avast bricked their phones, and the advice you pulled up from the first page of a google search isn't going to cut it. I want a number where I can talk to somebody who can direct me somewhere that will actually help. Thank you.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:38:33 AM »
Hi,

I believe you do this before you boot your OS. So while you phone is completely turned off, you hold down both volumes and power.

By the way, I was in a pretty similar situation a few weeks back, turned out I just had really low battery, after leaving the device on charger for an hour or two solved the issue.

Filip