Author Topic: where do I find the option to protect only ONE PC for $30?  (Read 2304 times)

FortKnox

where do I find the option to protect only ONE PC for $30?
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
I swear I saw this earlier and now I can't find it.  My Avast is yapping that it's time to upgrade, but seems to only offer me the option of upgrading to "Protect up to 3 PC's for 1 year."  Yeah that's great, except I have only one PC so protecting the other two I don't have is a stupid.  So I'm trying to find a cheaper plan, but ideally, I'd like to find "free," and if I could find that life would be awesome.  Can anyone help guide me?
Thanks,
Jeff

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: where do I find the option to protect only ONE PC for $30?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »
and if I could find that life would be awesome.  Can anyone help guide me?
free is here  http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

FortKnox

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:09:50 AM »
You are so awesome, thanks, I bookmarked that.  Yet I'm thinking I should uninstall the old version, yet there is not a de-install option anywhere, I searched my hard drive for filenames containing "avast" which turned up nothing, and Add/remove programs wasn't any help... so I'm just trying to install the free one...  oh frig, the installer says "We have detected a previous antivirus is still installed on your PC.  For the most effective security, we recommend to uninstall your previous software."  WELL, THANKS, I -=WOULD=-, BUT I CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET RID OF THE DARN THING!  I can't even find how to shut it down.  Can anyone help on that? 
Merci beaucoup!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:15:14 AM »
The standard windows uninstall is there (and avast! antivirus should be listed), but it may be best considering you have the trial version to do a clean install:

- Download the latest version of avast, 8.0.1483 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will reguest it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:19:45 AM »
For the record, I have licenses for 6 computers (I have only 5 computers)

One cost $29 U.S for three computers  and the second set cost $36 U.S. for 3 computers.

Be patient and look around.

The alternative is the FREE version and a firewall.

printed on 100% recycled bytes