Author Topic: Can Not Load Yahoo  (Read 3648 times)

steeleman1

Can Not Load Yahoo
« on: March 03, 2005, 10:48:07 PM »
I cant load the Yahoo Sites, Avast is saying it is timing out. Have not been able to for maybe a week or two. Any help would be keen.

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
Open the Web site home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Web site home page.
HTTP 504 - Gateway timeout

avast! Web Proxy

Johnny

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Can Not Load Yahoo
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 11:31:53 PM »
No problem here.
Try to 'play' around with the settings.
If that fails, add Yahoo to the exclusion list.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 12:12:59 AM »
No problems here either -- I only get into Yahoo a couple of times a day, to dump bulk mail and to check news headlines, but those work fine.

From what I've seen in other threads, that "gateway timeout" error seems to be nearly always related to firewall permissions setup.  I had the same problem at first, until I realized I must have missed ZA's request for permission for the Web Shield and went into ZA and changed that setting manually.  No problems since then.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

steeleman1

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 05:49:38 AM »
Ha!
It was my Peer-Guardian2 program. Not Avast at all. Why does it show AVAST on the page?
Anyhooz, I tweaked PG2 and there it is.
I would have kept tinkering with Avast, so thanks for letting me know it could have been another prog.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 11:05:18 AM »
Why does it show AVAST on the page?
Avast's new Webshield checks you http stream. So if you request a page, Avast checks it before it will be send to your browser. If Avast sees the request for a page but doesn't received it, it will tell you. In this case the page was blocked by that guardian but it could also have been caused by eg a firewall.