Author Topic: Incorrect formats during updates and virus definition updates??  (Read 2271 times)

fftaz71

Today I got a red pop up from Avast saying that my virus definitions were out of date and needed to be updated.  So I clicked update and after about 3-5sec depending on which attempt (i tried more than once) I got a message saying that the virus def. couldnt update because there was an attempt to load a program with an incorrect format.  I also saw an option to update the program so I tried that and got the same message. 
So...how do I fix this?  (<--somewhat computer literate but def. not an expert...) And, what does this mean for my antivirus protection?

I took a couple screen shots so you can see exactly what the message is... The first one is what appeared after trying to update the engine and virus definitions.  The second is the result of the attempt to update the program itself.  Thanks for your help guys...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Incorrect formats during updates and virus definition updates??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 10:12:16 AM »
Repair avast!:
1. Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> avast!
2. Click on 'Repair'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

fftaz71

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »
Thanks.  It seems to have fixed itself because now its running fine.  It just shows that I need to update to the newest version but seeing all the complaints about it, I may just wait a few more days to do that. 
I do appreciate the reply though.  Ill keep that in mind if it happens again....

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:22:06 PM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0