Author Topic: Wishing "PROGRAM Automatic update" actually WAS  (Read 6551 times)

JWJr

Wishing "PROGRAM Automatic update" actually WAS
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:47:56 PM »
I have a couple of machines here that run unattended, so they're set to "Automatic update" for the program. I just went to "MAINTENANCE Update" on each of them, and was informed that a new version (8.0.1483) was available.

I can only guess that the reason "Automatic update" isn't actually automatic is because Avast! would miss out on two opportunities (one before the update, and one after to reboot) to make me decline (for the umpteenth time) to upgrade to a more expensive version or install some other browser or toolbar.

If you must hard-sell me repeatedly, I'd rather have it done via email or pop-up, rather than as a detriment to the (supposedly) automatic update process.  -JW

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Wishing "PROGRAM Automatic update" actually WAS
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »
The program updates are on a cycle of update, with over 170 million users they can't all update at the same time. So there is an update cycle to balance server load over that cycle.

Obviously hitting the Manual Program Update overrides that update cycle.

Not sure if systems that run unattended would want to have program updates on auto as the program update requires a reboot to complete.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JWJr

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »
Not sure if systems that run unattended would want to have program updates on auto as the program update requires a reboot to complete.
The unattended machines also reboot themselves on a nightly basis - I originally started that to work around Windows problems, but it was also working well for Avast! (and other programs that require update reboots), until Avast! starting requiring version selection for every update download and rejection of add-ons on every update reboot.  :( -JW

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:58:06 PM »
I can only guess that the reason "Automatic update" isn't actually automatic is because Avast! would miss out on two opportunities (one before the update, and one after to reboot) to make me decline (for the umpteenth time) to upgrade to a more expensive version or install some other browser or toolbar.
Now that's an interesting thought! I didn't think about it like that. I guess I'm too naive...
Anyway, did you managed to solve this issue?
I'm having it for more than a year now, and I wish I could have find a good solution for it.

Some users talking about the overloading issue and about a time interval in which different users receive program updates, and mention that it should take time.
But how much time for a security update to take place?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »
Not totally sure the nature of your question as it can have more than one meaning/answer.

Regular program update cycle:
With over 220+ million users they all can't update at the same time - program updates are spread over a two - three week cycle.

Or how long from it starting to ending the update:
Don't know, too many variables.

Not all updates happen through the program update cycle. - The Emergency Update function can be used to check for and implement an emergency update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 10:46:51 PM »
I'm not sure why you aren't sure, but if you wish please explain what meanings you understood and I'll explain my intentions as best as I can.
Anyway, two to three weeks cycle is okay, but I'm waiting for months!
Now waiting for months for a security update is bad. Very bad!
And why not running it manually? Well, I can. But what about the countless computers I installed avast on?
And what about how avast should really work if you set it to update itself automatically?
And what about other users who have this issue and looking for solution?

As for the emergency update - I wasn't familiar with it until now.
To be honest, I'm still not. I'm reading about it right now.
Anyway I do believe it's a manual process, and again I'm looking to solve this issue.

Now, to be honest, I replied in order to see if JWJr managed with this issue.
I myself have this issue and I posted a topic about it here in which I described in detail my issue.
I'm replying to various topics that describe this issue in order to try and solve it by myself before I contact avast support as I did previously.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 11:47:50 PM »
What I'm not sure of is as I said 'the nature of your question'

What I am sure of is I'm not going to play ping pong in multiple topics. Plus your follow on questions are essentially off-topic.

Again I will repeat my self "you have posted in a year old avast 9 related topic isn't going to be very helpful."

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 11:55:29 PM »
Repeating the same word won't help - so re-posting
What I'm not sure of is as I said 'the nature of your question'
won't do any good...
As for off-topic - I'm not sure what or why, but not need to explain - since the explanation will be off topic...
And there's no need to repeat yourself - the point is clear.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 03:25:51 PM »
This is still a problem: after an update and a reboot, I still have to "Complete your update to Avast 2015" by manually de-selecting "Yes, also install Google Chrome web browser" and "Make Google Chrome my default browser", and hitting "Continue". That's not "automatic", is it?

This is also probably the dozenth time I've manually de-selected these same two choices. It would be nice if Avast would eventually remember that, and stop making me repeat myself with every minor update.  -JW

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 01:39:04 AM »
Look on the bright side - at least it is updating automatically - so you're protected and updated...