Author Topic: Push Updates and Outlook 2003  (Read 6569 times)

kantjer

Push Updates and Outlook 2003
« on: March 04, 2005, 12:19:05 PM »
Until now I never understood the concept of push updates. A couple off times per week I receive an email in my Outlook 2003 box telling me there is a new iAVS update released, apart from that nothing happened. So I used this notification to update manually.

A few days ago I installed a mail checker program called PopTray, Now comes the strange thing if I preview the Avast iAVS update notification mail in PopTray Avast immediately begins to update the iAVS data.

So I finally understand what push update is supposed to do, the only question I have is why isn’t it working with Outlook 2003.

Is this by design or is there a setting I missed?

Running Avast Pro 4.6.603 and Outpost Firewall Pro

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Push Updates and Outlook 2003
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 12:35:41 PM »
So I finally understand what push update is supposed to do, the only question I have is why isn’t it working with Outlook 2003.

When the mail is scanned, it notice that it is a push update notification and, if you have avast Professional version, it starts to update.

It's supposed to work both with Internet Mail provider than MS Outlook pluggin...
It's strange  :(
The best things in life are free.

kantjer

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 05:48:06 PM »
Is this (Push Updates) working for anybody else using Outlook 2003, ifso it is probably a problem on my side.  >:(

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 06:09:07 PM »

When the mail is scanned, it notice that it is a push update notification and, if you have avast Professional version, it starts to update.

It's supposed to work both with Internet Mail provider than MS Outlook pluggin...
It's strange  :(

Now lets start from the other end. What if you don't use Internet Mail provider at all? I have only Standard Shield,Web Shield and Network Shield. Now this means that PUSH Update system simply isn't working for me? That would be very odd.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 06:22:44 PM »
Now lets start from the other end. What if you don't use Internet Mail provider at all? I have only Standard Shield,Web Shield and Network Shield. Now this means that PUSH Update system simply isn't working for me? That would be very odd.

I think not...  :-\ :'(
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 09:28:57 PM »
RejZoR, of course, you need one of the avast email providers to be active to take advantage of the push updates. http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_professional.html#7

kantjer, well the Outlook/Exchange provider IS supposed to do the update, that's for sure. I'll try to get someone to look into the problem (I have no idea what may be wrong at this moment...). :-\

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Technodrome

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 10:23:26 PM »
Hmmm... I got the same problem using Outlook 2003 or 2000. As kantjer said I too receive an email in my Outlook telling me there is a new iAVS update released but nothing happens. Either I have to update manually or wait for the automatic update to kick in.

I don't use PopTray though.

tECHNODROME
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 10:25:13 PM by Technodrome »

sedina

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 12:26:14 PM »
Hi,
iAVS Push requires:
1) avast! Professional
2) Push update enable
3) for Outlook - running Outlook/Exchange provider.

I have tested it with Outlook 2003 and it works. Could you please send me (sedina@avast.com) following files:
1) setup.log (from Setup folder in avast! directory)
2) iAVS mail (subject: New iAVS update released) as msg format (simply save it as msg file format in Outlook 2003).

thanks!

kantjer

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 12:39:11 PM »
Hi,
iAVS Push requires:
1) avast! Professional
2) Push update enable
3) for Outlook - running Outlook/Exchange provider.

I have tested it with Outlook 2003 and it works. Could you please send me (sedina@avast.com) following files:
1) setup.log (from Setup folder in avast! directory)
2) iAVS mail (subject: New iAVS update released) as msg format (simply save it as msg file format in Outlook 2003).

thanks!

I deleted all the update release messages so I will need to wait until the next update to be able to send you the requested info.