Author Topic: Software Updater: False Positives and Continuous 'Preparing' message  (Read 3378 times)

harvHAWLEY

Currently Updater is showing Foxitreader and Java 64bit as out of date and it is showing the Preparing bar continuously for Java 32.

Only an annoyance but I thought you should know.

Oh yes, a very good idea, rather too many people are unaware how important updating is. Thank you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Software Updater: False Positives and Continuous 'Preparing' message
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
I believe "Preparing" means that the updater files are being downloaded. The download is done by Windows, and it may take some time (Windows somehow decides how to allocate bandwidth, when to download, ...)

harvHAWLEY

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:12:57 PM »
'Preparing' should not be downloading as I didn't ask it to. It is the bar that appears above More Information on the right while apparently checking a program. There is no downloading going on according to Process Explorer, just rather a lot of CPU usage.

Offline ky331

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 11:16:27 PM »
See if the following helps:

Open up the Software Updater, and click on the STOP button.

then go to avast's Settings (in the upper right-hand corner), select Software Updater (on the left),
UNcheck the box to "Automatically download updates if possible".

Click on the down-arrow to expand the "database reset (troubleshooting)" section, and press the RESET DATABASE NOW button.   Accept any prompts it offers, and click OK to close the settings screen.

You should be back at the Software Updater (if not, go there).   Hit START, and then RESCAN.   

Hopefully, it will no longer be continually "preparing" Java (nor anything else).

*** Nor will it automatically download updates in the background without getting your permission. ***
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

harvHAWLEY

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 11:44:55 PM »
Ah ha! Fixed. And no false positives either.

Thank you very much for your prompt response.