Author Topic: Scan secured connections blocks Dropbox  (Read 18797 times)

Offline specimen9999

Re: Scan secured connections blocks Dropbox
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 09:59:33 PM »
This is still an issue and the thing I see that could finally put this to rest is a simple change that allows a wildcard entry for domains on the secure web scanning preferences (and all the preferences frankly).  Right now you HAVE to put in a "valid" link i.e. client.dropbox.com, whereas if you could simply put *.dropbox.com and permit any variation prior to the root domain you should be fine. Trying to enter *.dropbox.com it freaks out and says invalid, it's silly.

And beyond the folks on this thread who's gonna take the time to wireshark their correct dropbox???  I did a netstat and got a www-5b.v.dropbox.com the last connection I had so entered that and now I am blocked again, it's a waste of a neat option for this AV.  As for now i have to open Avast, go to preferences and turn off web scan every time I want to use Dropbox (it also blocks crashplan.com data backup secure connections so off it goes for that too), just gonna leave it off at this point.

Rant - The folks on this thread seem techie but a normal customer isnt going to bother and that's the rub.  We've got a new mac botnet out, macs are still and will be more targeted as they grow in use, and we have to turn around folks who buy a mac simply to "not get viruses" and work them on getting a decent AV and if they get Avast they are gonna toss it and run without one.  /rant

No need to turn off web scan, just disable the option to scan secure connections (which is actually the default).

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 09:33:07 PM »
I noticed this problem since some time, but I hoped it would get fixed in an update. If I enable "Scan secured connections" under the Web Shield advanced settings, Dropbox refuses to connect. Since the beta I read that it needs to be added to the exclusions list, which didn't work. Then I read that avast will have a "whitelist" in the stable release, and even though "client.dropbox.com" has been automatically added to the exclusions list, with the https service, it still refuses to connect. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Well I had this problem too, I did that and it didn't work... then I see 3 options (whit check blank), the last one said "analyze protected connections" and unchecked it... It fix all my problem... (leaving the dropbox server of course!)

Apologies for my english, I actually speak spanish

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 04:56:44 PM »
Please try the current beta version, we have added process whitelisting for HTTPS
so Dropbox should work fine now.