Author Topic: Why Are Avast Updates so Interminable?!  (Read 3139 times)

drshi

Why Are Avast Updates so Interminable?!
« on: March 12, 2013, 12:52:23 AM »
Its endless notices of "Saving Package, this may take a while..." is the understatement of the year. Manual virus def. updates take ten minutes, and updating my program to ver 8. took over an hour-and-a-half on a cable connection!! Not since my land-line connection have any downloads ever taken more than a fraction of these pokey installations, which I consider wholly unacceptable. What in the world is the problem?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Why Are Avast Updates so Interminable?!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 03:17:06 AM »
Not sure what is wrong, but updating AIS 7 to 8 took about 5 minutes, including Windows restart on each machine in my signature.

Were you doing anything else on the machine at the time?
Any other security programs installed?
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

true indian

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 05:56:54 AM »
- avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download VPS Update (virus definitions, vpsupd.exe, approx 78.4 MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update. If you have avast 8, the one you want is the one for avast versions 5/6/7 it is the same for 8.

drshi

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »
Not sure what is wrong, but updating AIS 7 to 8 took about 5 minutes, including Windows restart on each machine in my signature.

Were you doing anything else on the machine at the time?
Any other security programs installed?

Thanks for the feedback. Since I now know that this problem seems to be limited to my system in particular, I'll play around next time an Avast installation is taking forever to see what is impeding it. Perhaps my Carbonite was doing a backup at the same time.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:57:25 PM »
Try GUI>Settings>Updates>Proxy Settings>Direct Connection (No Proxy)  :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:58:59 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

drshi

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 11:00:55 PM »

Thanks, will do.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 11:33:01 PM »

Thanks, will do.

Hope it works.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.