Author Topic: AVAST 8.0.143> Full scan reporting error:files can't be scanned  (Read 9821 times)

Cranky

After I  upgraded to AVAST Free  8.0.143 March 8 I ran a Full Scan. While threat free, the log produced the following: 'Some Files Could Not Be Scanned'. Eleven error files total. All prefaced with 'Windows/$NTUninstall'...followed by a different number code for each. And, 'This file can not be accessed by the system (1920)' I ran three Full Scans to triple check. Same error results.  Both a Quick Scan and Boot-time Scan
were clean. No threats, no errors, and my protection appears to be running 100%. I'm guessing this quirk is connected to the newest AVAST upgrade. With the prior version installed March 1st I only ran a couple of Quick Scans.  No threats, no error files either time. Maybe I should uninstall  .143 and reinstall '142 to see if the  file error quirk also exists? Just passing this along for what its worth. I've been happier than heck since joining the AVAST family. Thanks, from a Newbie.
p.s. I incorrectly dispatched this message as part of a reply yesterday...to God knows where. Sorry about that.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: AVAST 8.0.143> Full scan reporting error:files can't be scanned
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »
The "some files cannot be scanned" are just that. It does not mean there is an infection or a need to be concerned.
Some files like archive, packed files and, password protected files are examples of this. If they are password protected there is no way for avast to have access to those passwords. Security software such as avast, firewalls, MalwareBytes, etc protect there work for obvious reasons. You failed to state what scan settings you are using. May I suggest you use default settings and run another scan. For now I would not be concerned at all.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Cranky

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:14:01 PM »
Paranoid, thanks for the input. I think I made it clear my AVAST Free is doing it's job as far as  the protection goes.  I'm just trying to sort out the reason why these error files  suddenly appeared with the installation of 8.0.143 and ONLY in Full Scan.  There is no password barrier, all scans are default and these errors-files do not show up on the scanning logs for Quick and Boot-time Scans, nor when I run Malwarebytes and SAS.  It was never a problem with AVAST 7. As for AVAST 8.0.142, I don't know because I only ran the Quick and Boot-time Scan and no error files were revealed. So it is a mystery I'm trying to solve. I may uninstall .143, install .142 & if the error files show up...I'll be able to pinpoint the 'glitch' is definitely Version 8 related. Like a hang nail, it won't kill ya but they can be a nuisance. If no other AVAST users are reporting  the error file quirk, then it is obviously only a minor disagreement between my PC and AVAST 8.  Regards.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:22:40 PM »
Paranoid, thanks for the input. I think I made it clear my AVAST Free is doing it's job as far as  the protection goes.  I'm just trying to sort out the reason why these error files  suddenly appeared with the installation of 8.0.143 and ONLY in Full Scan.  There is no password barrier, all scans are default and these errors-files do not show up on the scanning logs for Quick and Boot-time Scans, nor when I run Malwarebytes and SAS.  It was never a problem with AVAST 7. As for AVAST 8.0.142, I don't know because I only ran the Quick and Boot-time Scan and no error files were revealed. So it is a mystery I'm trying to solve. I may uninstall .143, install .142 & if the error files show up...I'll be able to pinpoint the 'glitch' is definitely Version 8 related. Like a hang nail, it won't kill ya but they can be a nuisance. If no other AVAST users are reporting  the error file quirk, then it is obviously only a minor disagreement between my PC and AVAST 8.  Regards.
There is no error! Files that cannot be scanned are just that. Nothing more, nothing less.
It does not indicate they are infected. They just cannot be scanned. There is no glitch either.
I see no reason to be concerned or worried about them. There could be many reasons a file cannot be scanned.

If you could post the files/file paths that cannot be scanned. Maybe that will provide some much needed information.  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:23:27 PM »
nor when I run Malwarebytes and SAS.
not related as they dont report scan errors in the log

where are the files located?
a screenshot of the scan result would help