Author Topic: Avast and Microsoft August Patchday  (Read 4298 times)

brightside22

Avast and Microsoft August Patchday
« on: August 26, 2013, 09:26:05 PM »
Hi,

on the last MS Patchday a kernel update was offered that caused conflict with some systems. Avast seems to be one possible cause of trouble.

I have read that Avast is aware of the problem and has issued fixes. http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-needs-your-help-fix-botched-patch-kb-2859537-225314

Unfortunately, I cannot find any information from Avast directly which Avast version is the problem and what the fix exactly is.

Is there any news?

Thank you!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast and Microsoft August Patchday
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »
Avast has solved the problem with an update,
This was probably via a signature update or an emergency update

Sahri

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 12:35:46 AM »
Avast has solved the problem with an update,
This was probably via a signature update or an emergency update
Program or definition update?

brightside22

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 07:39:36 AM »
Hi,

I cannot find any information directly from Avast whether it is a program emergency update or not. Since this is obviously a kernel problem as MS states, I personally doubt it to be a definition update.

The changelog for Avast 8 doesnt say anything nor for Avast 7.

Since MS13-063 is a Windows Kernel update -- always problematic, reaching into the inner sanctum -- a lot of people have reported problems. The most frequently reported problems, with Avast and the games Rift, Final Fantasy, and Defiance, seem to be related to developers hooking into the kernel in unexpected ways. Those are more-manageable problems. If you're still having trouble running the Rift game after authentication, install the latest patch from Rift (available since Aug. 15). Avast has solved the problem with an update, but no word yet on small game developers.

GTX66

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 02:04:21 PM »
http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-needs-your-help-fix-botched-patch-kb-2859537-225314

This update should be removed from your system until MS fixes it. It had caused me many problems.

brightside22

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:40:13 PM »
Susan Bradley from the Microsoft forum wrote:
They are 'throttling" the update as they typically do when they see issues with an update.  For those that have installed it and see no issues (as I have here personally) there is no need to uninstall the update.  For those that see it unchecked, leave it be and it will be 'unthrottled' at a later time.

I personally installed the update before issues became public. I had not had any bluescreens or problems yet. I am just worried. I also thought about uninstalling but the advice from MS seems to be to keep it unless one does have problems.

If Avast were not mentioned as one possible component of possible issues I wouldnt worry. But Avast is mentioned as a cause of conflict.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:07:45 PM by brightside22 »

GTX66

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »
Just Google that update and you will see how many people are having issues. There must be a problem with it as MS is working on a fix. If there was nothing wrong with it then they would not.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 10:53:43 PM »
I think the point has already been well made that while the problem is serious, it doesn't affect all users (e.g., no problem on my system).  I'm curious whether anyone's seen any stats on the percentage of users who are affected, and what progress (if any) has been made towards identifying specific hardware-OS-software combination(s) which I believe are the "trigger" for the problems.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 11:08:18 PM »
I haven't had any problems.

GTX66

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 01:44:18 AM »
I think the point has already been well made that while the problem is serious, it doesn't affect all users (e.g., no problem on my system).  I'm curious whether anyone's seen any stats on the percentage of users who are affected, and what progress (if any) has been made towards identifying specific hardware-OS-software combination(s) which I believe are the "trigger" for the problems.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-needs-your-help-fix-botched-patch-kb-2859537-225314

You can check out the link above.