Author Topic: Still Can't Get Avast Working With Thunderbird SSL  (Read 43365 times)

Peachead

Still Can't Get Avast Working With Thunderbird SSL
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:09:22 PM »
These are the settings I have in Thunderbird

imap Setting Port 993
Security SSL/TLS

Avast has a tick in the SSL BOX

Yet Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail just attempts to connect then eventually times out

Yet if I take the tick out in the Useless Avast "upgrade" downgrade messages are receive with no problem

What do I need to do

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Still Can't Get Avast Working With Thunderbird SSL
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
What errors are you getting ?

Avast8 can now handle the SSL emails without having to modify your email settings in your email program.

If you previously had avast 7 you will have needed to change your email program, account settings to allow avast to scan SSL email, these changes need to be reversed, e.g set back to the SSL ports and Authentication.

Delete the entries for your email accounts in the avast Mail Shield > Settings > SSL Scanning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Peachead

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
This is the problem, there is NOTHING to remove in Avast - Whereas previously the settings in Thunderbird were set to none - Now they are set to SSL

The only setting in Avast is to put the tick in Scan SSL Connections but when that is set Thunderbird connects to email provider which scrolls and scrolls till it eventually tells me that the server timed out

If I take the tick out in Avast Thunderbird and/or Windows Live Mail retrieves and sends messages with no problem

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:46:25 PM »
You must reset your thunderbird account settings as they were prior to adjusting to allow avast to scan them. That includes the secure transmission of your logon/password details, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Peachead

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »
With Avast 7 the settings in Thunderbird were set to NONE and Avast scanned it and added the SSL itself

When it upgraded downgraded to Avast 8 I got a pop up telling me that Avast could now can SSL connections even if they were set in the Mail Program

Without the SSL set in Thunderbird and with the tick in Avast NO email, just scrolls and times out

Put the SSL settings back in Thunderbird and tghe tick in Avast NO email, just scrolls and times out

Take the tick out in Avast and Mail is both received and can be sent but is not scanned

So it's just not working with Avast - Beginning to lose patience with Avast - It's bad enough getting Vertigo and dizzy spells with the ridicously light scheme now it won't work with mail in either Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail regardless of what I set

pdoug44

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:28:31 PM »
Having the same problem.  I use Thunderbird, gmail, with Windows 8.  Will not work with my Avast Pro if I have SSL scanning checked in avast.  I also am not sure any emails are being scanned.  It shows 0/0 in my mail shield.  Also cannot send or receive mail if I use encrypted password.  Not trying to hi jack the thread, just wanted to let someone know others are having the same problem and none of the suggested fixes I have found here has resolved it.

Peachead

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:33:58 PM »
Having the same problem.  I use Thunderbird, gmail, with Windows 8.  Will not work with my Avast Pro if I have SSL scanning checked in avast.  I also am not sure any emails are being scanned.  It shows 0/0 in my mail shield.  Also cannot send or receive mail if I use encrypted password.  Not trying to hi jack the thread, just wanted to let someone know others are having the same problem and none of the suggested fixes I have found here has resolved it.
That's not hijacking the thread, makes sense not to create a new topic - For the record mine is through Gmail too

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 11:05:20 PM »
Although I'm using Pegasus Mail, the settings for the servers would be the same.
pop.gmail.com   Port 995
smtp.gmail.com  Port 465
imap.gmail.com  Port 993

All above are set to via Direct SSL connection.  My GMail is scanned via Avast Mail Shield and the headers below are added to incoming messages.
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 130312-0, 03/12/2013), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

In Mail Shield "Scan SSL connections" is checkmarked with no server entries showing.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Peachead

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 11:11:02 PM »
smtp.gmail.com  Port 465
imap.gmail.com  Port 993

Already set it both Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail but mail in not even retrieved UNTIL I take the tick out of Scan SSL in Avast

If I don't get REAL answers soon I will have to ditch Avast forever

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 11:52:49 PM »
smtp.gmail.com  Port 465
imap.gmail.com  Port 993

Already set it both Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail but mail in not even retrieved UNTIL I take the tick out of Scan SSL in Avast

If I don't get REAL answers soon I will have to ditch Avast forever
even if you dont get this to work, your mail is still secure
google protect all Gmail accounts with postini spam/virus filter using two AV engines from Authentium and McAfee

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 11:58:38 PM »
As I have already said the SSL ports aren't the only thing that you need to set to the default settings in your email accounts.

You must reset your thunderbird account settings as they were prior to adjusting to allow avast to scan them. That includes the secure transmission of your logon/password details, etc.

So far you haven't confirmed that you have done that ?

Because if the password isn't sent securely then I don't believe anything will happen (you haven't logged on to your server), so the connection is likely to time out.

Threats don't provide much motivation.

Peachead

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 12:08:20 AM »
It should be pretty obvious that I have done that, otherwise the mail would not be received IMMEDIATELY after taking the tick out in Avast

Just tried it again to be sure and sure enough it works without Avast but won't work with

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 12:30:45 AM »
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116551.msg906829#msg906829

and

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116551.msg907659#msg907659.

Avparn has similar problems, and vojtech is quite knowledgeable.  Are you running Thunderbird 17.0.4?
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Peachead

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 12:46:24 AM »
Yes running 17.0.04 had seen those threads - Edited the ini file but makes no difference at all

Peachead

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »
All the fixes there seem to relate to Windows X - I am runnin Windows 7

Tried everything but still the same