Author Topic: Still Can't Get Avast Working With Thunderbird SSL  (Read 43364 times)

Arcanum

Re: Still Can't Get Avast Working With Thunderbird SSL
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »
Hi All!

I have got the same problem. Thunderbird allows only SSL connections, and when I activate SSL protection, Thunderbird doesn't load my messages from the servers, and can't send e-mails too. I have tried all variable settings, and it haven't been better. Could you help me?

Peachead

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 11:59:23 PM »
Seems like they're conveniently sweeping the problem under the carpet - You would think that at least they'd hold their hands up, say that haven't got a clue and RESIGN

However honesty seems in very short supply at Avast

pdoug44

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 06:58:19 PM »
Finally. got mine working!  I printed the instructions from here:

"http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB91#artTitle

went through the step, really pretty simple and it started working as it should.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 07:01:59 PM »

went through the step, really pretty simple and it started working as it should.

Exactly as it should. ;)

dumpton

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 10:52:46 AM »
Is Avast intended for ordinary people who just want to use their computers without a lot of fuss, or are they expected  to have obtained some degree or other in the inner workings? Why, when Avast is working OK, does it suddenly decide to throw a spanner in the works? Is it to keep us all on our toes. Yes ,I have got mine working now, but for how long before I see other warnings, & a broken email client?

bazsihuhu

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »

I have the same problem, but it did not solve the problem.

rmoller

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 07:06:44 PM »

It doesn't work for me  :(

Got my gmail to work after disabling mail scan. My mailme.dk doesn't work whatever I do.

Besides my GARMIN.EXPRESS has stopped working, so updating the GPS is impossible  >:(

stduc

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 10:46:08 PM »
After much time wasted trying various things I ended up disabling SSL scanning to get things working - so I'm worse off than I was with version 7 - I'm not going back to v7 though in the hope it gets fixed at some point. I kept getting errors until I disabled SSL - see attachments

odo

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 09:31:43 AM »
I've got it working with the steps from the faq-article. My Problem is, it only works on one PC. When i take my Thunderbird-profile to another PC (Thunderbird Portable), it doesn't work anymore. I know, i can always remove the certificate and install the one from the current workstation, but i don't want to do this at least 2 times a day.
I mean, the only other solution would be to turn off SSL-Scanning on one of the two machines. But that seems to drastic.
Does anyone else have that problem, or possibly even a solution?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »
I've got it working with the steps from the faq-article. My Problem is, it only works on one PC. When i take my Thunderbird-profile to another PC (Thunderbird Portable), it doesn't work anymore. I know, i can always remove the certificate and install the one from the current workstation, but i don't want to do this at least 2 times a day.
I mean, the only other solution would be to turn off SSL-Scanning on one of the two machines. But that seems to drastic.
Does anyone else have that problem, or possibly even a solution?

Do both machines have Avast 8 installed on them?
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

odo

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 06:49:01 PM »
Do both machines have Avast 8 installed on them?

Yes, both have Version 8.0.1483 installed

Bolt

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 07:06:31 PM »
I'm not sure what I can add except to confirm that this problem is very real -- others reporting it here are not imagining things.  Here are my details:  I am running the latest version of both Thunderbird and Avast 8.  My Verizon (FiOS) email account on Thunderbird is set to SSL with the proper ports (POP incoming, 995, and outgoing, 465), servers, etc.  On both Windows 7 and Windows 8 laptops, I cannot send or receive mail when Avast is set to "scan SSL connections" in the Mail Shield.  My choices are either to revert to non-SSL on Thunderbird or to untick the "Scan SSL connections" box in the Mail Shield settings on Avast.  I tried importing the Avast security certificate to Thunderbird, but that made no difference (and I had never received any warning that the "mail server certificate is invalid" as described here on the site one contributor to this thread recommended: http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB91#artTitle ).

There is simply no other reasonable conclusion but that Avast SSL mail scanning does not presently work properly with at least some SSL accounts set up on Thunderbird.  I hope Avast acknowledges this problem and commits to identifying and correcting its source.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:08:02 PM by Bolt »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 07:17:43 PM »
I would have thought the Avast Mail Shield certificate would have been the same between machines.  Did you ask on Thunderbird Portable's forum how it handles certificate exceptions?

@Bolt

Many have had luck following these instructions.  Why it works for some and not others, I can't say.
http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB91#artTitle

https://feedback.avast.com/responses/mail-shield-related-ssl-eror-unable-to-get-local-issuer-certificate
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:19:40 PM by Gopher John »
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Tetsuo

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »
Hello, I can remember someone from the Avast Team saying somewhere on the forum that the current "SSL scanning method" doesn't support the portable version of Thunderbird. Obviously a confirmation is needed, since I'm not completely sure about this.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 09:31:59 PM »
Tetsuo, you are correct.  At least, vojtech indicates that it's not automatic as in a Thunderbird install.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116204.msg902525#msg902525