Author Topic: ashWebSv 100% CPU utilization  (Read 12394 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: ashWebSv 100% CPU utilization
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2005, 01:59:13 AM »
Vlk, won't the 4.6.612 version help on this case? (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11828.0)
I suppose not as you'll be the first to address the solution to it  :-\ :-[
The best things in life are free.

fredra

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 03:54:53 PM »
Hi Vik
After going through the dump process and you didn't find the trigger to be able to pinpont the specific problem, I decided to do some more digging on my end. In addition, I read all the current threads to see if I found anything vaguely corresponding to my situation.
- Turn on Web Shield, not in persistent mode, only for the session.
- PC created the "_avast4" folder in c:\windows\temp
-checked CPU usage..it was normal. Going from 100% down to 3%, after a few seconds. Fine so far.
-went to "speakeasy" to check speed of PC, got the results
-checked CPU usage....same as above, fine so far.
-went to my local ISP test site to test the speed, got results
-checked CPU usage, and it was at 100% and would STAY there, and nothing would load. To return to normal, I had to "terminate" Web Shield AND end the process in Task Manager.
It seems that going to my local ISP test site has an adverse effect on the efficency of Web Shield.
I am hesitant to put their URL here and get others in the same predicament.
Thanks for all your assistance.
CheersĀ  :)
P.S. I was not convinced that "webshield" was the problem..until proven otherwise....too many variables
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 06:13:43 PM by fredra »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 10:09:02 PM »
I have tried the URL you sent by email but it's not working from here (it's not even possible to ping it) - I assume it's blocked (it's accessible only to the ISP's customers - all other accesses are denied by their firewall).

Well... any chance you could create yet another dump file? Or at least try the things I described in my previous post?

BTW it would be reasonable to carry out the tests after the CPU is taken up for some time (let's say a minute). Otherwise, it may be just a temporary peak that won't be seen in the debugger...

Thanks a lot
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

fredra

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2005, 10:23:32 PM »
Hi VLK

I will do as you requested and get back to you ASAP (give me a few hrs to get home)

Thanks for being patient in trying to pinpoint the specifics, it is appreciated.

Cheers  :)