Author Topic: ashWebSv 100% CPU utilization  (Read 12390 times)

irkregent

ashWebSv 100% CPU utilization
« on: March 05, 2005, 02:56:47 AM »
The latest version of the software frequently brings my computer to a crawl, with ashWebSv taking 99-100%
CPU utilization.  Previous versions never did this.

Configuration:
I'm running Avast4 4.6.603 on Windows 2000 SP3.  Hardware firewall built into router, no software firewall.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: ashWebSv 100% CPU utilization
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 03:06:02 AM »
Yes there are some problems with the webshield. Unfortunatly, but that is the way it is. They didn't show up in the beta tests and the problems with it that did show up where solved before the official release. Have you already used the search option on this board? If not I suggest you do so, it may give you some hints/tips on what to do.

If the info (currently) on this board is of no help, please post everything you have found/tried in this thread.

The people from Alwil are working hard to resolve any issues and can use the info to find out where it goes wrong.

irkregent

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 03:29:55 AM »
I did a search for something like "ashwebsv cpu", but nothing turned up.  If this cropped up only with the last release, then it's no surprise I didn't find anything that looked like a good match.

I did turn off the "Enable web scanning" feature, but the problem still shows up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 03:39:56 AM »
I did a search for something like "ashwebsv cpu", but nothing turned up.  If this cropped up only with the last release, then it's no surprise I didn't find anything that looked like a good match.

I did turn off the "Enable web scanning" feature, but the problem still shows up.

Unsure how to do that

Left click the 'a' blue icon.
Choose WebShield provider at left and terminate it on the proper button.
You'll see a message while disabling the provider...
Answer 'yes' to persist the changes.
Test and let us know  8)
The best things in life are free.

fredra

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 05:07:11 AM »
Hi all
I am having the same problem http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11743.0 , so I have had to disable Web Shield (ashwebsv.exe).
 "They didn't show up in the beta tests and the problems with it that did show up where solved before the official release. "...HUH!!!  ::)  .... I respectfully differ with that statement, as I reported this specific problem in the Beta forum BEFORE the final official release.
I was using 4.5 and updated to the beta version and reported it, and it is still happening. So I will wait for the ALWIL programmers to find a solution. I suppose that if more of us provide this type of feedback, they will have a look at this annomally.
Cheers  :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 05:19:39 PM »
Does it start using the CPU immediately after you turn it on (the WebShield provider)?
Or while browsing on a specific page? Or while downloading something?

Eddy & Technical, I wouldn't say it's wise to advise people to turn off the Web Shield actually. It would be much more useful to find the cause of the problem... but unfortunately, it's not reproducible on any of our machines (and probably yours neither).

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 06:33:19 PM »
Eddy & Technical, I wouldn't say it's wise to advise people to turn off the Web Shield actually. It would be much more useful to find the cause of the problem... but unfortunately, it's not reproducible on any of our machines (and probably yours neither).

The only I can see is that the users are nervous losing connection.
I don't know the solution. So, until we find it I think the user must set Standard Shield to High and disable WebShield.
Users with proxy (server and local ones) are having problems too.
But, as you ask so, I'll stop posting about WebShield as my knowleage is empty on this field.
The best things in life are free.

fredra

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 10:01:36 PM »
Hi all
To eddy and technical
Let me try to be clear here...I do respect and appreciate your help, opinions and feedback..IMHO that will never be, and should not be, a point for discussion.

To Vik
Does it start using the CPU immediately after you turn it on (the WebShield provider)?
Yes
Or while browsing on a specific page? Or while downloading something?
At this point, it is already at 100%, so browsing is adversely affected and downloading is out of the question.

If you have any more questions that need clarification, please let me know and I will respond.
I do understand that this annomally (I did not say bug or problem)  ;) is difficult to reproduce and it maybe affecting a small minority of users, however, I do appreciate your taking the time to look into it.
Thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 11:01:38 PM »
Hi fredra...

Well... the only reliable way to find out what the problem is is to create a dump file with the aid of a debugger. It would take you 15-20 minutes though ...

Here are the instructions for installing and using the debugger: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1040;start=msg5657#msg5657 . The procedure should be identical as the one described in that thread - with one exception - you wouldn't be debugging ashSimpl.exe but (obviously) ashWebSv.exe instead.

All I need is the dump file.

If you don't feel you can do it - just don't worry about that, hopefully we'll find another solution.

BTW it would be a good idea to pause the Web Shield provider before attaching the debugger to ashWebSv.exe - otherwise, the system may actually hang...

BTW2 - you can SKIP the .symfix command in this case.

Thanks a lot
Vlk

fredra

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 06:33:18 PM »
Hi Vik

I am working on it...will post results in a few hours from now.

Thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 06:39:25 PM »
Great, thanks. Once you have the dump file, please compress it with your favorite packer and upload it to ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming .

Thanks
Vlk

fredra

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 08:45:26 PM »
Hi Vik
It has been done  :) and the dump file is now in the "incoming" on your FTP server.

If there is anything else I can do (or the .dmp file is not sufficient or accurate), please let me know.

I eargerly await your positive response.

Again, thanks for looking into this situation.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 08:51:37 PM »
Hi fredra, thanks for the dump.
Are you saying that this dump was generated while ashWebSv.exe was taking up 100% CPU? (I mean, the process was taking the CPU when you attached the debugger to it)?

Thanks
Vlk

fredra

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 09:37:06 PM »
Hi Vik
That is correct...it was at 100%

Btw... I am not sure that this is relevant as any assistance to your troubleshooting, howwever, when ashwebsv is terminated, it still shows as a process, with he CPU still at 100%. If I end the process (in the task Manager), then the CPU usage drops to 2%.

Thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 10:21:43 PM »
Hmmm... the dump is actually very strange. None of the ashWebSv threads seems to be stuck (that is, all seem to be idle) - which would normally mean no CPU is taken up by this process...

1. Are you sure it's the right process? (i.e. it's really ashWebSv.exe that's taking up the CPU, according to the Task Manager?)

2. If you start the Task Manager, switch to the Performance tab, and in the View menu, tick the Show Kernel Times option, is the red line in the CPU Usage field near 0 or 100%? (the red line means kernel times)

3. If you once again attach the debugger to the process (while it's taking up the CPU), and issue the following command

!runaway 3

what is the output?

Thanks
Vlk