Author Topic: Is Mozilla Thunderbird supported?  (Read 11257 times)

kenwong

Is Mozilla Thunderbird supported?
« on: March 05, 2005, 03:43:00 AM »
I have installed and used avast! Home for about two weeks.  It is a very good anti-virus application.  Credits must go to the avast! team.

Here I have a simple question: Is Mozilla Thunderbird supported by the email protection of avast! Home?

Am using: Windows 98 (NOT second edition), avast! Home (4.6.603), Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6 (built 2808), Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 03:46:48 AM by kenwong »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Is Mozilla Thunderbird supported?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 03:51:30 AM »
Is Mozilla Thunderbird supported by the email protection of avast! Home?

Welcome to avast!
Sure TB is supported. You must run Mail Protection Wizard (the link is under the avast! menu of the Startup menu).
Let us know if you have troubles...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

kenwong

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 04:02:34 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

It says that avast! changes all my protocol severs to 127.0.0.1 (localhost).  But the result is it changed some but not all the mail server settings in my Thunderbird.  And I found that the proxy server for connection has not been changed (ie, NO proxy server has been set).

Your further help on this will be appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 04:11:01 AM »
Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply.

This is how things go here... be used to the speed  ;)

It says that avast! changes all my protocol severs to 127.0.0.1 (localhost).  But the result is it changed some but not all the mail server settings in my Thunderbird. 

In fact, some installations of TB have trouble with the automatic procedure.
Can you change them manually?
Here are some infomation: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=display;board=2;threadid=7913;start=0#msg64228

And I found that the proxy server for connection has not been changed (ie, NO proxy server has been set).

But, do you use a proxy filter?
Which is the address and port number?

kenwong

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 04:41:42 AM »
Thanks again.

I got your points.  Yes, I have already changed back the mail server settings to the original ones (i.e., as if avast! does not exist and as specified by my email service providers).  Is this what you meant?

About your last point.  Nothing in proxy server has been set in TB right now.  So, do you suggest that I should set proxy (like localhost 127.0.0.1 port 12080) in TB for the purpose of having emails scanned by avast!?

One more question BTW.  I have set proxy (127.0.0.1 port 12080) in Firefox 1.01 and IE 6.  Should I choose "use the same proxy for all protocols" (for SSL, FTP, Gopher)?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 01:04:46 PM »
I got your points.  Yes, I have already changed back the mail server settings to the original ones (i.e., as if avast! does not exist and as specified by my email service providers).  Is this what you meant?

On contrary. If you're using Windows 98 you must configure your servers to 127.0.0.1 in order to scan emails.

About your last point.  Nothing in proxy server has been set in TB right now.  So, do you suggest that I should set proxy (like localhost 127.0.0.1 port 12080) in TB for the purpose of having emails scanned by avast!?

Proxy and email scanning are not related each other.
You must set this proxy into avast settings > Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy in order to update avast.
You must set this proxy into your browser settings to connect the internet.
You could disable WebShield until you're sure your system is working and then we can guide you to setup it.

I have set proxy (127.0.0.1 port 12080) in Firefox 1.01 and IE 6.  Should I choose "use the same proxy for all protocols" (for SSL, FTP, Gopher)?

It won't harm but depends on your proxy... Why do you use one? Which program is your proxy filter? Generally, ftp could connect without the proxy. Depends...

kenwong

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 06:31:53 PM »
Thanks.  But can you please provide me info on how to config (manually, I think) TB (and avast! Home)?  I tried the steps stated in the avast! help file but couldn't contact the mail server of my email service provider.

Regards,

lee16

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 06:51:08 PM »
Where are you trying to receive your Mail from?

--lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 07:20:25 PM »
But can you please provide me info on how to config (manually, I think) TB (and avast! Home)?

In Windows 98:
For email = user@mail.com

POP3 server = SMTP server = 127.0.0.1

Username= pop.mail.com#user or pop.mail.com#user@mail.com
Password and check remember

Check SMTP authentication.
Username= smtp.mail.com#user or smtp.mail.com#user@mail.com
Password and check remember

Last, ashMaisv.exe must be running to scan the emails.

kenwong

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 11:20:17 AM »
Thanks for your help.  I got things right (I guess, until some bad emails invade in the future).

Now, I want to config my Gmail (with POP enabled) account in TB.  Can you tell me the tips and tricks regarding the setup?  Coz I tried but failed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 03:03:49 PM »
Now, I want to config my Gmail (with POP enabled) account in TB.  Can you tell me the tips and tricks regarding the setup?  Coz I tried but failed.

There is a thread on this very subject, I suggest you try a forum search.

Try this one - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9909.0
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 03:10:23 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kenwong

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 04:28:14 PM »
Thanks, DavidR.  But my machine is running Win 98.  Would the settings be different?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 04:39:45 PM »
Thanks, DavidR.  But my machine is running Win 98.  Would the settings be different?

Most probably...
You'll have to change the pop3 and smtp servers to 127.0.0.1
Username will have the server name added before: pop.mail.com#username (or pop.mail.com#user@mail.com)
You must check for smtp authenticatication and write sptp.mail.com#username (or smtp.mail.com#user@mail.com)

kenwong

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 05:24:47 PM »
Thanks.  But just want to make it clear.  I'm trying to set up a Gmail account in TB.

kenwong

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 03:13:04 PM »
Are there any complete guidelines for setting up gmail accounts in TB with avast mail protection running?  I made a number of attempts but still failed.