Author Topic: "Blackscreen" syndrome  (Read 66460 times)

sedina

"Blackscreen" syndrome
« on: March 13, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »
Hi all,
if you have experience with "blackscreen" syndrome after installing/updating avast!, could you please give us a hint whether you have some other
security software installed (e.g. Online Armor)?

thanks a lot,
Pavel

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: "Blackscreen" syndrome
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »
I bet most of these black screens are on Win8. Which is idiotic for the most part.  It just crashes and doesn't tell you a single thing what went wrong. Old BSOD's at least told you which module failed. But with rubbish Win8, just the single colored screen and thats it. A debugging nightmare.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Mike-avast

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »
I bet most of these black screens are on Win8. Which is idiotic for the most part.  It just crashes and doesn't tell you a single thing what went wrong. Old BSOD's at least told you which module failed. But with rubbish Win8, just the single colored screen and thats it. A debugging nightmare.

You debug the same way, view the memory.dmp in WinDbg http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463009.aspx
if no memory.dmp is actually created even if it says so in event viewer change the location of the Dump file: to something like D:\MEMORY.DMP

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 07:50:02 PM »
The blackscreen and freezing of my Vista 64 Business is an installation with basically the OS only and all updates for this system installed + Secunia PSI and that's it. It did have Avast! 7 installed on it before.

And your support still did not respond to a ticket I sent in (which is now on day 7 with any anything asked at all).
Pfft.
This issue I have already is now 2 weeks and ongoing.....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:55:27 PM by CaptainLeonidas »
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

kevpan815

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 04:14:18 AM »
Excuse me Reizor, but I have a Brand New Windows 8 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 PC and so far I have NOT had a single BSOD (Blue/Black Screen of Death). Please note that I have the Dell X64 Windows 8 Recovery DVD and Completely Wiped the System of Dell's Preinstalled McAfee Software. A lot of people forget that Windows Vista and Windows ME were actually Worse than Windows 8, and that Windows 8 did improve with Microsoft's General Release (Non-Service-Pack) Windows Update which by the way did NOT make it in time to get onto all RETAIL Windows 8 DVD's (My Early Copy $39.99 U.S.A. Download + $14.99 U.S.A. Dollar Back Up Disk did NOT have it), but it was added onto OEM Installations. Just FYI.

kevpan815

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 06:30:06 AM »
Sorry, just realized your Screen Name is Rejzor, NOT Reizor, my mistake.

nithin.2spans160

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 06:45:42 AM »
Hi all,
if you have experience with "blackscreen" syndrome after installing/updating avast!, could you please give us a hint whether you have some other
security software installed (e.g. Online Armor)?

thanks a lot,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

I earlier had this discussion in feedback section of avast, the final remark was an activator or loader is causing the black screen in windows 8 with avast 8 installed. This doesn't happen when installing it, but after restarting! after the login page. Only a moving cursor and alt+ctrl+del works. Of course you can open the explorer from taskmanager  :o but behind the explorer window is still black with nothing..

eg: of activator/loader are mini kms activator, P8_v25, Kj etc.

You can overcome the black screen by custom installation avoiding behavior shield.
I am not sure will this be helpful to you, but i like avast 8. :)

kevpan815

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 07:02:17 AM »
Nithin.2spans160: Do you have Microsoft's General Release Update for Windows 8 Installed? A lot of people don't realize that if you are on a Metered Internet Connection, the General Release Update will NOT Automatically download from Windows Update for Windows 8. Everyone who has the problem who is using Windows 8 should check and see if they have Microsoft's General Release Update Installed as it is supposed to fix problems with some types of Non-Avast Security Software and Windows 8 BSOD's.

nithin.2spans160

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 10:50:07 AM »
Yes, i will check that.

mystery34221

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 03:23:06 AM »
I just finished updated avast free on Windows 7, and it prompted me to restart my computer. After restart, my desktop appeared without any icons, and a windows error message stating that windows could not find my "Desktop" folder. I then tried to restart the system but accidently hit the sleep button instead. After trying to initialize startup again, I have found that I have an entirely black screen, and that absolutely no video is being shown through either the onboard motherboard video, or through my external video card. Has anyone had such a symptom as this?

Zen11t

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 11:45:02 AM »
@kevpan815

Can you give a KB number?

jojoyaya

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »
I am an average non-nerd/tech old mother type that downloaded the upgrade. On restart I got the black screen. I know enough to go to safe mode. My son has finals this week and cannot help me. I have windows 7 or 8.

I followed the thread to the windows fix but I don't know which one to download as there are 3 options. Can someone please post more info on how to get out of this jam? That way when my son is available he can walk me through this.

I thank-you in advance for your kind consideration in this matter. 

mohanzeal

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 06:05:22 AM »
go to this link forzeal.com/avast-black-screen-problem and solve your problem :) :) :) easy and efficient. sorry This blog has moved to http://www.weblogcode.org
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:01:11 PM by mohanzeal »

MHShohag

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:21:17 AM »
I use Windows 8 Pro x64 with avast! 8 Premier and another pc Windows 8 pro x32 with avast! Free anitivirus.

After installing avast! 2 problem happened:
1. After login "blank screen" happened! and
2. "Change PC settings" option not start!

I solved those problems by adding 2 file in Behavior Shield > Trusted Process. The file 2 are:
1. C:\Windows\explorer.exe [solve "blank screen" problem]
2. CWindows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe [Solve "Change PC settings" running problem]

Those problem also solved by unchecking "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" in Behavior Shield settings.

kevpan815

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
@Zenit: It was actually Dell's Support Website where I found the information about the Windows 8 Critical Mini Non-Service-Pack Windows 8 Update and how it fixes problems with Windows 8 and Some Anti-Virus Programs from having a Conflict with each other. This Free Windows 8 Update was Released on the same day that Windows 8 went Public Download for $39.99 (which the Temporary Reduced Launch Price has now ended), it was also Dell 's Support Website where I read it does not download from Windows Update on a Metered Connection. I should also note that I recently Clean Installed using my DELL OEM Windows 8 DVD and this Dell OEM Windows 8 DVD does not have the update on it either. You can find the Update either by searching Dell's Windows 8 FAQ in the DELL Windows 8 Forum, or search Microsoft Dot Com Slash Downloads for something called Windows 8 Cumulative General Release Update.