Author Topic: "Blackscreen" syndrome  (Read 57158 times)

Offline sedina

• Avast team
"Blackscreen" syndrome
« on: March 13, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »
Hi all,
if you have experience with "blackscreen" syndrome after installing/updating avast!, could you please give us a hint whether you have some other
security software installed (e.g. Online Armor)?

thanks a lot,
Pavel

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: "Blackscreen" syndrome
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »
I bet most of these black screens are on Win8. Which is idiotic for the most part.  It just crashes and doesn't tell you a single thing what went wrong. Old BSOD's at least told you which module failed. But with rubbish Win8, just the single colored screen and thats it. A debugging nightmare.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Mike-avast

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »
I bet most of these black screens are on Win8. Which is idiotic for the most part.  It just crashes and doesn't tell you a single thing what went wrong. Old BSOD's at least told you which module failed. But with rubbish Win8, just the single colored screen and thats it. A debugging nightmare.

You debug the same way, view the memory.dmp in WinDbg http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463009.aspx
if no memory.dmp is actually created even if it says so in event viewer change the location of the Dump file: to something like D:\MEMORY.DMP

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 07:50:02 PM »
The blackscreen and freezing of my Vista 64 Business is an installation with basically the OS only and all updates for this system installed + Secunia PSI and that's it. It did have Avast! 7 installed on it before.

And your support still did not respond to a ticket I sent in (which is now on day 7 with any anything asked at all).
Pfft.
This issue I have already is now 2 weeks and ongoing.....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:55:27 PM by CaptainLeonidas »
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

Offline kevpan815

• I Love Beta Testing!
    • Kevin John Panzke's Website
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 04:14:18 AM »
Excuse me Reizor, but I have a Brand New Windows 8 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 PC and so far I have NOT had a single BSOD (Blue/Black Screen of Death). Please note that I have the Dell X64 Windows 8 Recovery DVD and Completely Wiped the System of Dell's Preinstalled McAfee Software. A lot of people forget that Windows Vista and Windows ME were actually Worse than Windows 8, and that Windows 8 did improve with Microsoft's General Release (Non-Service-Pack) Windows Update which by the way did NOT make it in time to get onto all RETAIL Windows 8 DVD's (My Early Copy $39.99 U.S.A. Download + $14.99 U.S.A. Dollar Back Up Disk did NOT have it), but it was added onto OEM Installations. Just FYI.
X64 Windows 8.1 Build 9431, X64 Windows Server 2012 R2 Build 9431, Avast Premier Edition 2014 Beta 1, MBAM 1.75 Pro Edition, Avast Secure Line for Apple IOS Devices, Avast Mobile Security 3.0 RTM (Rooted), Avast Anti-Theft 3.0 RTM (Rooted) & Avast Mobile Backup 1.0  RTM (Rooted) for Android.

Offline kevpan815

• I Love Beta Testing!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 06:30:06 AM »
Sorry, just realized your Screen Name is Rejzor, NOT Reizor, my mistake.
X64 Windows 8.1 Build 9431, X64 Windows Server 2012 R2 Build 9431, Avast Premier Edition 2014 Beta 1, MBAM 1.75 Pro Edition, Avast Secure Line for Apple IOS Devices, Avast Mobile Security 3.0 RTM (Rooted), Avast Anti-Theft 3.0 RTM (Rooted) & Avast Mobile Backup 1.0  RTM (Rooted) for Android.

Offline nithin.2spans160

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 06:45:42 AM »
Hi all,
if you have experience with "blackscreen" syndrome after installing/updating avast!, could you please give us a hint whether you have some other
security software installed (e.g. Online Armor)?

thanks a lot,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

I earlier had this discussion in feedback section of avast, the final remark was an activator or loader is causing the black screen in windows 8 with avast 8 installed. This doesn't happen when installing it, but after restarting! after the login page. Only a moving cursor and alt+ctrl+del works. Of course you can open the explorer from taskmanager  :o but behind the explorer window is still black with nothing..

eg: of activator/loader are mini kms activator, P8_v25, Kj etc.

You can overcome the black screen by custom installation avoiding behavior shield.
I am not sure will this be helpful to you, but i like avast 8. :)

Offline kevpan815

• I Love Beta Testing!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 07:02:17 AM »
Nithin.2spans160: Do you have Microsoft's General Release Update for Windows 8 Installed? A lot of people don't realize that if you are on a Metered Internet Connection, the General Release Update will NOT Automatically download from Windows Update for Windows 8. Everyone who has the problem who is using Windows 8 should check and see if they have Microsoft's General Release Update Installed as it is supposed to fix problems with some types of Non-Avast Security Software and Windows 8 BSOD's.

Offline nithin.2spans160

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 10:50:07 AM »
Yes, i will check that.

Offline mystery34221

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 03:23:06 AM »
I just finished updated avast free on Windows 7, and it prompted me to restart my computer. After restart, my desktop appeared without any icons, and a windows error message stating that windows could not find my "Desktop" folder. I then tried to restart the system but accidently hit the sleep button instead. After trying to initialize startup again, I have found that I have an entirely black screen, and that absolutely no video is being shown through either the onboard motherboard video, or through my external video card. Has anyone had such a symptom as this?

Offline Zen11t

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 11:45:02 AM »
@kevpan815

Can you give a KB number?
Windows 7 SP1 64 bit, Avast Internet Security 2015.10.2.2218,  Malwarebytes Antimalware, Firefox 38, Internet Explorer 11.

Offline jojoyaya

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »
I am an average non-nerd/tech old mother type that downloaded the upgrade. On restart I got the black screen. I know enough to go to safe mode. My son has finals this week and cannot help me. I have windows 7 or 8.

I followed the thread to the windows fix but I don't know which one to download as there are 3 options. Can someone please post more info on how to get out of this jam? That way when my son is available he can walk me through this.

I thank-you in advance for your kind consideration in this matter. 

Offline mohanzeal

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 06:05:22 AM »
go to this link forzeal.com/avast-black-screen-problem and solve your problem :) :) :) easy and efficient. sorry This blog has moved to http://www.weblogcode.org
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:01:11 PM by mohanzeal »

Offline Mahmudul Hasan Shohag

• Me
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:21:17 AM »
I use Windows 8 Pro x64 with avast! 8 Premier and another pc Windows 8 pro x32 with avast! Free anitivirus.

After installing avast! 2 problem happened:
1. After login "blank screen" happened! and
2. "Change PC settings" option not start!

I solved those problems by adding 2 file in Behavior Shield > Trusted Process. The file 2 are:
1. C:\Windows\explorer.exe [solve "blank screen" problem]
2. CWindows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe [Solve "Change PC settings" running problem]

Those problem also solved by unchecking "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" in Behavior Shield settings.

Offline kevpan815

• I Love Beta Testing!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
@Zenit: It was actually Dell's Support Website where I found the information about the Windows 8 Critical Mini Non-Service-Pack Windows 8 Update and how it fixes problems with Windows 8 and Some Anti-Virus Programs from having a Conflict with each other. This Free Windows 8 Update was Released on the same day that Windows 8 went Public Download for $39.99 (which the Temporary Reduced Launch Price has now ended), it was also Dell 's Support Website where I read it does not download from Windows Update on a Metered Connection. I should also note that I recently Clean Installed using my DELL OEM Windows 8 DVD and this Dell OEM Windows 8 DVD does not have the update on it either. You can find the Update either by searching Dell's Windows 8 FAQ in the DELL Windows 8 Forum, or search Microsoft Dot Com Slash Downloads for something called Windows 8 Cumulative General Release Update.