Author Topic: "Blackscreen" syndrome  (Read 66458 times)

kevpan815

Re: "Blackscreen" syndrome
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »
KB2756872.

marktee98

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 05:34:08 PM »
I know nothing about computers. I am running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. dual Pentium 4.

It started when Avast! told me to update last week. I installed the update and allowed the reboot. Upon reboot, my computer crashed, then when I pushed the button to shut it off and restart it, it did the scan thing. All files were checked and I thought everything was ok.

The windows would not start at all. It was a black screen with an hourglass.
I pushed the power switch and shut it down, then restarted it. I eventually used F8 and tried Safe Mode, no luck. So I used F8 then selected "Boot from last good configuration" or something like that. That worked, but Avast is broken.

I notice in the registration window, it says I have zero days left, but the date of expiration is the middle of next month.

I am using a paid-for version of Avast! Not the free one.

(See Attachment).

I tried to repair from the Control Panel, and did a reboot when asked, Avast! is still Broken!

I do not run any other security software on this machine. I do not use malware software or any other trash software, just Avast!

It's a hybrid machine built by a computer tech. I run MSSQL Server for the time clock and internal network.

The machine in the next office is running fine, Windows 7 and Avast! is working fine on it.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:50:57 PM by marktee98 »

marktee98

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 07:21:29 PM »
I know nothing about computers. I am running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. dual Pentium 4.

It started when Avast! told me to update last week. I installed the update and allowed the reboot. Upon reboot, my computer crashed, then when I pushed the button to shut it off and restart it, it did the scan thing. All files were checked and I thought everything was ok.

I pushed the power switch and shut it down, then restarted it. I eventually used F8 and tried Safe Mode, no luck. So I used F8 then selected "Boot from last good configuration" or something like that. That worked, but Avast is broken.

I notice in the registration window, it says I have zero days left, but the date of expiration is the middle of next month.

(See Attachment).

I tried to repair from the Control Panel, and did a reboot when asked, Avast! is still Broken!

I do not run any other security software on this machine. I do not use malware software or any other trash software, just Avast!

It's a hybrid machine built by a computer tech. I run MSSQL Server for the time clock and internal network.

The machine in the next office is running fine, Windows 7 and Avast! is working fine on it.

Just an update:

I have finally got Avast! working again.
 I uninstalled Avast! and re-installed it from the original package I had downloaded in 2011.
 Using the registration file I saved from when I purchased it, I was able to install and update without issue.
  Now version 8 is running fine on my machine.

kevpan815

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 03:53:08 AM »
It appears that this problem is NOT being caused by Windows 8 if other people are having the same problem on "Other Windows OS's" like Windows XP and Windows 7!

kevpan815

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 04:03:13 AM »
P.S. I do get a Lengthy Black Screen Delay on a 2010 Dell Netbook PC that I am currently running an Evaluation Copy of Windows Server 2012 with Avast 7.0 E-mail Server Security 30 Day Trial, but it does eventually Boot Up. I had trouble with Windows 8 slowing down this Machine so I downloaded Windows Server 2012 for it from my Microsoft Tech Net Subscription until I can find something better to run on it, and no I do not use the PC for Production Use.

kevpan815

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 04:18:20 AM »

(See Attachment).

Just an update:

I have finally got Avast! working again.
 I uninstalled Avast! and re-installed it from the original package I had downloaded in 2011.
 Using the registration file I saved from when I purchased it, I was able to install and update without issue.
  Now version 8 is running fine on my machine.
You are aware that you can Download the Latest Version of Avast from either their Support Website or These Forums Itself, AND then Request your Activation Key to be Resent to you by using the Avast Support Website? That is as long as you bought it directly from Avast and/or have your Activation Key Available, you can SKIP the CD and DOWNLOAD Avast 8.0.1483 directly from this Website assuming you have a High Speed Connection Obviously, even 4G LTE is fast enough. I use my Sprint IPhone 5 Personal Hotspot all the time to Download Avast 8.0!

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »
Just a heads up to people...the latest Nvidia graphics card drivers are causing these black screen bugs too. There is also a known issue with them where Windows tries to update your drivers in the background while the Nvidia installer runs, effectively "double-installing" the driver. If you use a Nvidia graphics card, please try uninstalling all Nvidia drivers and software, letting Windows Update run until it's done, and then installing any remaining Nvidia driver updates via Nvidia's software after. This may or may not resolve your issue. If it doesn't, then it may be another bug listed previously in this topic. Hopefully this will narrow it down for some people.
~SugarD-x~

ganejoe

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »
Just a heads up to people...the latest Nvidia graphics card drivers are causing these black screen bugs too. There is also a known issue with them where Windows tries to update your drivers in the background while the Nvidia installer runs, effectively "double-installing" the driver. If you use a Nvidia graphics card, please try uninstalling all Nvidia drivers and software, letting Windows Update run until it's done, and then installing any remaining Nvidia driver updates via Nvidia's software after. This may or may not resolve your issue. If it doesn't, then it may be another bug listed previously in this topic. Hopefully this will narrow it down for some people.

did it effect Windows XP to?
I'm just installed v314.07 on my Windows XP machine.

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »

I'm not sure specifically which systems that bug affects, but I know it was mentioned to be affecting Windows OS'es, so it's a possibility. I know I had it personally on Windows 8, and someone else reported it on Windows Vista. Give the methods I mentioned a try if you have a Nvidia graphics card installed. Worst case you'll just be updating your drivers to the latest version. :)
~SugarD-x~

glennlab

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 06:07:27 PM »
I had no problem until you installed the auto update feature in your software for other programs.  since then, it has been pure hell.  I am running XP and the conflicts are such a pain, it might be better to just get a refund rather than put up with the BS and try to work with the system crashing every few minutes.

rafaelluik

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 03:38:05 AM »
I use Windows 8 Pro x64 with avast! 8 Premier and another pc Windows 8 pro x32 with avast! Free anitivirus.

After installing avast! 2 problem happened:
1. After login "blank screen" happened! and
2. "Change PC settings" option not start!

I solved those problems by adding 2 file in Behavior Shield > Trusted Process. The file 2 are:
1. C:\Windows\explorer.exe [solve "blank screen" problem]
2. CWindows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe [Solve "Change PC settings" running problem]

Those problem also solved by unchecking "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" in Behavior Shield settings.
Oh thanks! That solved the black screen problem for me in Windows 8 x64!

JWJr

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 05:26:03 AM »

YES. Two of my five XPproSP3 machines here died after that Nvidia update. I completely deleted the Nvidia drivers, rebooted, and downloaded and installed the driver directly from the Nvidia website. Problem solved.

Then, I did the same for the other 3 XP machines, just in case.  -JW

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »

YES. Two of my five XPproSP3 machines here died after that Nvidia update. I completely deleted the Nvidia drivers, rebooted, and downloaded and installed the driver directly from the Nvidia website. Problem solved.

Then, I did the same for the other 3 XP machines, just in case.  -JW
Glad to hear it worked! :)
~SugarD-x~

kevpan815

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
Alpha Testers in the Ubuntu 13.04 Forum (also called Ubuntu +1 Forum) on www dot ubuntuforums dot org are complaining about NVIDIA drivers as well.

PEK

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 07:51:09 AM »
Avast people: please tell, when it is safe to install new Avast with no black screens. And please warn people about this problem before they try to install the new version... Here Vista with black screens, many times.