Author Topic: Software Updater not recognizing Firefox update.  (Read 8670 times)

TheDean

Software Updater not recognizing Firefox update.
« on: March 04, 2013, 04:47:52 AM »
The following is on an XP SP3 desktop.  Installed is Avast version 8.0.1482.  I thought I would take Software Updater out for a spin and for the most part it worked quite well.  But there is one odd and frustrating exception.

Firefox was out of date on the first scan as were a few other programs.  As I updated each program it disappeared from Avast's list of programs needing updates (I am only showing out of date programs at the moment).  But when I update Firefox to the latest version 19.0, Software Update continues to show "Preparing" for Firefox.  (For the record, the "More Details" shows the latest version as 19.0, the very version I now have on my PC.

I have tried re-scanning on several occasions.  Restarted the browser and computer.  Removed Software Updater. Restarted the computer. Re-installed Software Updater. Restarted Computer.  And yes, I have even clicked the "Show up-to-date programs" button. Still, Firefox remains in the "Preparing" stage.   

I understand this is minor, considering all the issues you must have with a new release.  But i though I would share this to see if anyone else has encountered this issue, and perhaps solved it.

Thank you for your time.

TheDean

Re: Software Updater not recognizing Firefox update.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:51:07 AM »
I should also note I tried a "Repair" but that didn't help, either.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »
A repair wouldn't fix it anyway, the software updater database is the issue, if that doesn't have the latest version of a program in its list then you are likely to get anomalies like this. The software updater database I believe gets updated as part of the virus definitions update.

So some programs may take time for the database to catch up.

I don't know why you are monitoring firefox as it has auto update unless you have that disabled.

Personally I never bothered installing the software updater module as I take care of my own updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TheDean

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 02:48:28 PM »
David, thanks for the reply.

Software Updater has Ver 19.0 as the latest version.  Doesn't this suggest the database is up-to-date?  And for the record, there has already been a virus definition update.

Why am I monitoring Firefox? Because as I said, I am taking the Software Updater out for a spin.  I want to see if it is working properly.  I install Avast on most of my clients' machines and they will likely notice things like this.  Also, while Firefox has an auto-updater, it doesn't regularly update if you don't use it often.  Since Chrome is my default browser, Firefox gets used rarely.  But I do use it once in a while, and have used it in the past week, yet it was still on Ver 17.

Offline TSquare

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:55:23 PM »
I will be following this thread. I have a Windows 7 machine that is doing this exact same thing with FireFox, but on my Vista machine Avast is happy with FireFox.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
It is suggesting it is up to date, I don't know if the  "Preparing" for Firefox that you mentioned somehow meant the version would still be the old one and not 19.0.

So a restart of firefox after an update, I would have though would complete the 19.0 update.

I think we will see some wrinkles in this very new software updater function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ascot97

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:16:43 PM »
I had this same problem on my Win XP machine.  The Updater was showing Firefox at v18.0.2 and Firefox was showing v19.0. The Updater was stuck 'Preparing'.  I went to the Avast, Settings, Software Updater page and Reset the Software Updater database.  This solved the problem.

Nick

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:18:43 PM »
Thanks Nick, hopefully this will help TheDean and TSquare.

TheDean

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 09:41:31 PM »
All praise be to ascot97.  Thank you so much.

I was working at a client's house today and her Windows 7 PC had the exact same issue.  I could have sworn I checked the settings and found no control for Software Updater--but there it is.  I plead early-onset Alzheimer's!

Again, very much appreciated.

jrclen

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 06:28:18 AM »
Mine doesn't recognize the flash update. I update and Avast keeps nagging me. And when I shut the annoying "feature" off it turns itself right back on. Very annoying. Let me shut it off for good or I will be forced to find another virus protection program. Avast is turning into bloat ware.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 04:28:38 PM »
I don't use the software updater, so I didn't install it on my custom install, you can remove it completely.

XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and select Change, click next and in the next window you can uncheck the Software Updater option.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Uninstall/Change and select Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the change.

That said, can't you simply have the software updater not monitor flash as a temporary measure, which should be resolved when the database catches up to the latest release.

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 06:25:40 PM »
I had this same problem on my Win XP machine.  The Updater was showing Firefox at v18.0.2 and Firefox was showing v19.0. The Updater was stuck 'Preparing'.  I went to the Avast, Settings, Software Updater page and Reset the Software Updater database.  This solved the problem.

Nick
Thanks Nick. This fixed it on Windows 8 x86 too. Seems to be a bug in Avast! when it comes to rescanning programs.
~SugarD-x~