Author Topic: Can't remove Win32.Downloader.gen  (Read 23830 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Can't remove Win32.Downloader.gen
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »
The text files will go back to the hidden status once I clean up

Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button.  It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself. 

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.
Clear Restore Points

Go Start > All Programmes > Accessories > System tools
Right click Disc Cleanup and select run as administrator
Select More Options tab
Press Sytem Restore and Shadow Copies Cleanup button

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

If you use on-line banking then as an added layer of protection install Trusteer Rapport

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe  :wave:

MrHavoc

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 03:22:47 AM »
Hello. It would appear that I am experiencing the same problem here. I am unable to remove this malware by any other means, and I think it is interfering with the internet connection. If I follow the same instructions, will you be able to help me as you helped this gentleman? Hope to hear back soon. Thank you.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 02:53:02 PM »
Hi what is your problem ?

Download OTL  to your Desktop
Secondary link
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.

• Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
netsvcs
BASESERVICES
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
services.*
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
Userinit.exe
svchost.exe
winsock.*
/md5stop
CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Post  both logs

MrHavoc

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »
Here are the logs Essexboy, appreciate the help. As far as the problems with my computer, there have been some issues around the house with the internet, and me being able to stay connected, as well as others.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »
Hmm not a great deal apparent there, so the main problem is connectivity issues correct ?

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:OTL
DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\XDva391.sys -- (XDva391)
DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\XDva356.sys -- (XDva356)
DRV - File not found [Kernel | Boot | Stopped] -- System32\drivers\msro.sys -- (pnujm)
O3 - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - {ae07101b-46d4-4a98-af68-0333ea26e113} - No CLSID value found.
O4 - HKLM..\RunOnce: [SpUninstallCleanUp] REG delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SearchProtect /f File not found
O4 - HKU\S-1-5-21-1220945662-1801674531-839522115-1004..\RunOnce: [SpUninstallDeleteDir] rmdir /s /q "C:\Documents and Settings\Chaos\Application Data\SearchProtect" File not found

:Commands
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.
THEN

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

MrHavoc

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »
Alright, here are the new logs.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 08:30:26 PM »
Hmm the net data looks OK

Could you explain in a bit more detail what the problem is

MrHavoc

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 08:48:35 PM »
Well, after running MBAM before, I found the directory for where the worm was located and removed the program it was in. Conduit I believe. But over the past week after I discovered it, the internet connection for myself and others in the household have been has been vitriolic to say the least. Lagging connection, slow download speeds, high latency/ping in online games, high amounts of connection time outs, and occasions of the connection completely vanishing for moments at a time before showing back up. I'm not sure if the worm is a root to this, as seeing I've considered it being a fault in the provider, and all of the other systems have updated their security.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 10:13:53 PM »
Have you tried a router reset at all to see if that helps ?

On this system I will flush the dns and reset the tcpip to see if that helps any

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:OTL
IE - HKCU\..\SearchScopes\{afdbddaa-5d3f-42ee-b79c-185a7020515b}: "URL" = http://search.conduit.com/ResultsExt.aspx?q={searchTerms}&SearchSource=4&ctid=CT3268494&CUI=UN57558940321591735
FF - prefs.js..keyword.URL: "http://mystart.incredibar.com/mb175/?loc=IB_DS&a=6Oz1fENOj4&&i=26&search="
FF - prefs.js..extensions.enabledAddons: %7B97E22097-9A2F-45b1-8DAF-36AD648C7EF4%7D:15.0.4

:Files
ipconfig /flushdns /c
ipconfig /release /c
ipconfig /renew /c
:Commands
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

MrHavoc

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 12:39:03 AM »
Well so far the connection issues seem to have leveled out. Still a little buggy here and there but no where near like it was. Here is the next log.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »
I can still see no malware, it may be worth resetting dns on the other systems to see if that helps

The commands to use are the following :

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

MrHavoc

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »
Alright, will do. Thanks a lot Essexboy, I appreciate the help immensely.

waco

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 04:34:32 AM »
So, what actually fixed it?  I have this virus (Windows 7).

waco

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 04:41:41 AM »
So, what actually fixed it?  I see several suggestions here.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »
@Waco could you start your own thread and we will work there