Author Topic: Avast install nightmare  (Read 16343 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast install nightmare
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 04:35:56 PM »
Hmm I wonder if there is a conflict there, what element of Comodo do you have running ?

drummerman

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 04:43:19 PM »
Could you disable defense+  and then see if you are able to restart with the Avast sandbox

drummerman

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »
Ok, did a few system starts;

Twice with Commodo Def+ disabled, Avast Behaviour Shield on and Sandbox on ... crashed both times.

Twice with Commodo Def+ off and Sandbox off, Avast as above ... fine

Twice with Commodo Def+ enabled, Sandbox disabled, Avast as above ... fine.

There was a third crash but I can't remember the setting of that particular one  :)

You are right, that is probably the conflict. I heard/read about it before but forgot as I never had this problem running the two programmes side by side. What has changed since the last update? Also, Defense+ does not automatically switch off Commodo's Sandbox.

More to the point, what is the solution in your informed opinion? What to run and what not ... .

Thanks and regards

On Sat 16/03/2013 15:55:32 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031613-25662-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75C40)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x10, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80003C9FEE9)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 16/03/2013 15:55:32 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x87752)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x10, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80003C9FEE9)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 16/03/2013 15:50:38 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031613-25599-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75C40)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x3, 0xFFFFF80003E0DF00, 0xFFFFF80003E0DF00, 0xFFFFFA8005246198)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:28:55 PM by drummerman »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
At this stage I would go with the Commodo defence+ as Avast sandbox at this stage appears to be the source of the conflict, obviously this is based on you still wanting to run Commodo 

drummerman

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 05:45:36 PM »
Well, I've used Commodo for quite some time so I've never really looked at other FW's. I'm not really security obsessed but like to know that there is some protection.

Which FW would you recommend? I am not a power user and prefer things that quietly run in the background. I've applied Chiron's tweakings as mentioned before and never changed anything.

regards

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 05:50:35 PM »
Actually the windows 7 and 8 firewalls are just as good if you are behind a router

There is PCTools free http://www.pctools.com/mirror/fwinstall.exe but I have never tried it

drummerman

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2013, 06:04:22 PM »
Many thanks

regards

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2013, 06:54:38 PM »
Please note that PCTools firewall has been discontinued

Source: http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?69742-PC-Tools-Firewall-retired&p=242700#post242700

Please note that Comodo firewall is flawed in that it cannot provide outbound protection with Avast! installed.

This is because it is unable to check connections redirected through a transparent proxy.

Source: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2194740 (look at vlk's post)

Edit: Windows firewall does a good job for inbound only protection on default, while the outbound protection can be covered by Avast! network shield to a certain extent (due to malicious url blacklisting, it would block outbound connections from your PC to that malicious actor).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:59:51 PM by AntiVirusASeT »

drummerman

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2013, 08:56:33 PM »
Thanks

regards