Author Topic: Latest update, NO EMAIL  (Read 2110 times)

rakentrail

Latest update, NO EMAIL
« on: March 14, 2013, 03:06:56 AM »
Well guys I can't get email with the email protection on. No to Thunderbird, No to IncrediMail and not even on my ISP's system. Shut it off and all works fine. Junk! If it continues I'll have to find a new antivirus.  >:( ::) ???

dbrusco

Re: Latest update, NO EMAIL
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 06:59:55 AM »
I noticed yesterday that I hadn't gotten any email in certain accounts since 3/8, only because I have been switching over to gmail imap from Yahoo pop3 and still have both, and sometimes read email on a tablet. The tablet had email that Thunderbird on my main computer didn't.

I don't remember when I upgraded to 8, but it was shortly after it popped up. At some point it said to enable the SSL in the email client, which I did, instead of how it used to be with the Avast setting (no SSL in the client). When I checked the settings yesterday, I looked at the Mail Shield, which had a list of all the accounts from the old setup. It said to delete those and let the client do the SSL. I deleted the list.

However, I too continue to get no email on the Yahoo/sbcglobal.net accounts (POP3) unless I DISABLE Mail Shield. Is there another setting that needs to be changed or is this a BUG?

syble

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
I had the same problem.  You'll need to go into your email account settings and check the boxs for This Server Requires a Secure Connection (SSL). 

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 12:45:13 AM »
Well, as of this morning I could not send email. Took me all day to realize that I had to change my smtp to SSL.

Never had to do that before.

I have a hunch that this morning's update changed this. Bear in mind that it worked up until this morning.

Not a complaint but I would have loved to be informed.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

dbrusco

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 08:55:14 PM »
After a lot of testing based partly on another post that I saw after I replied to this one, I can now get the mail that was not coming in. It was not how I had the email accounts configured in Thunderbird. I had already changed those back to SSL, and it was also not due to the list of SSL servers in Avast which I had also deleted due to the change to 8.
Since I was able to send from the accounts that I couldn't receive from, it seemed like it had something to do with the connection. I looked at the Certificates in Thunderbird and noticed there was one in there for an att POP3 server that I don't use, then I found this:
http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB91#artTitle

Something happened to the certificate for yahoo when I first tried to access mail after the upgrade, so once I deleted the existing ones and imported the current one according to these directions, it was ok.