Author Topic: Process avastsvc.exe  (Read 3192 times)

Kaskad

Process avastsvc.exe
« on: March 15, 2013, 01:33:54 AM »
Hello
After testing, the PC with the "Scan potentially unwanted programs" have the following result (see screenshot):

Process in 1284 [avastsvc.exe], memory block 0x0000000001F30000, block size 2097152 [L] Win32: ActualSpy-M [PUP] (0)
Infected files: 1

Retesting after rebooting threats were found.
What is this threat? What to do? A scan to the threat of an action can not be applied - "Apply" button is not active (see screenshot).
As I know, ActualSpy refers to spyware. And really avastsvc.exe process is such?
I spend this check regularly (several times a week) and this result was obtained for the first time.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Process avastsvc.exe
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 01:39:32 AM »
first, the detection is a process....not a file that can be moved/deleted so no action can be taken

second, this happens bc you have selected "Scan memory"  this setting will give some veird scan results
there are a million posts about it in here so lots of info if you search the forum

DO NOT use the "Scan memory" setting
i recomend to not change the default scan settings if you do not know what the result is

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:41:44 AM by Pondus »

Kaskad

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 01:47:32 AM »
Pondus, I understand that you do not recommend using the setting "Scan potentially unwanted programs" in the memory test?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 02:06:40 AM »
Pondus, I understand that you do not recommend using the setting "Scan potentially unwanted programs" in the memory test?
i did not say PUP scan.... read my post again

Kaskad

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 08:51:50 PM »
I did not change the default scan settings, except for some options. My qualifications can do it, believe me.

I created a "Special type of scan", which have including a memory test. After that and there was a specific problem. Similar test carried out repeatedly.

I have read the similar topics on this issue in this forum. And I understood that the memory test result may not be predictable. Is not it?
I have a question. Why give the user the ability to select the memory test, if there can be problems?

By the way, asked a question on this issue to technical support. I have recommended to conduct a series of tests PC (OS boot), including and third-party AV products to find spyware. And about possible problems with the memory test, they did not say.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:55:02 PM by Kaskad »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »
The 'Special' scan you created is a Custom scan and when doing a custom scan if you select Memory scan iin that it is the most in depth of the memory scans and frequently returns weird results. This can be seen in many such topic as yours, the recommendation is don't include a memory scan when you do a custom scan.

Unfortunately as avast users we can't say why it is available, but that is the thing with giving the option of a custom scan, do you subsequently disable options in it, like the memory and PUP scanning as both of these can bring weird results. It also requires a degree of competence for users to understand what a PUP is and what they have installed, what it does and why it might be considered a PUP.

It is possible to add exclusions to the custom scan to cater for memory scans:
Memory Scan exclusions - You can set the exclusion (e.g. for the particular scan you created) as follows (comodo example):
*PROCESS\*\cmdagent.exe
- then the Comodo process won't be scanned at all.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security