Author Topic: Solved! Avast! 8 Free "Software Updater" How to shut this feature down?  (Read 2647 times)

tbint

Is there a way to shut the software updater feature down permanently in version 8? So unneeded as most software programs, have a new update notifier built in. At least the most common.

Nice looking interface version 8 has.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:37:02 PM by tbint »

SilverCloud2003

Control Panel, Programs and Features, double-click Avast, Select CHANGE, click Next, uncheck Software Updater, click Next, reboot when done.

tbint

Control Panel, Programs and Features, double-click Avast, Select CHANGE, click Next, uncheck Software Updater, click Next, reboot when done.

Thanks silvercloud got rid of a few other also.

jeffr

This is quite ridiculous.  Why force features to be installed that have to go through the control panel to turn off?  Put the option in the program controls to turn it off or let it run.  This is one of those items that is a major PITA.  I'll update software when I choose to update.  Windows updates are bad enough.  I'm not looking for you to look over my shoulder deciding for me what I need to protect.  Let me decide.  After all it is MY computer.  I love your product.  But this is totally unnecessary.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
One of the problems of checking old topics, is that the software gets ahead of the topic.

You don't have to if you have the latest version of avast (8.0.1488) has that fixed, as unchecking the Enable Software Updater will disable it permanently.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security