Author Topic: Avast web site tracking  (Read 2591 times)

Hammey

Avast web site tracking
« on: March 15, 2013, 06:00:26 PM »
Hi I have asked support this question but I hope for a answer here. Last night for the first time I got a popup from Avast asking me if I wanted to see my virus report on the last 1200 web sites I have visited. Now im 60 and have been in the pc business for about 23 years. To me this means Avast is keeping track of the web sites I visit, why would they do this. There does seem to be some uneasiness regarding the Avast! ELUA since version 8 and the changes they have made, in the pc Community.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast web site tracking
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 06:33:10 PM »
It is more keeping count of the number of sites you visited and the number of alerts, etc. Of course you could check this and see exactly what is displayed and post a screenshot of non-private areas.

I haven't seen this pop-up yet, so I can't say with any certainty the exact content, but my guess it would be similar to the old 30 day security report or the new my.avast.com account Activity Log tab in the Devices.

See image example of the Activity Log, I don't know if the report you mention will be a graphical one like this with only details of any alerts or a text based one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hammey

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:43:32 PM »
Hi as it is of no interest to me I did not bother to look. Most users that have been on computers for along time have the sites they use and don’t bother browsing the internet for out of the way sites. To me I can't believe that they do not keep a record of what site you where on if you got a virus. This popup said to see a report on the last 1200 sites I have been to, not just the ones that had a virus which I have not had in many years. I am only asking as I have used Avast for years all my customers use it and it is a shame to see it go this way. This along with having to agree to let them upload data from my pc before I can install it. As far as I am concerned Avast was the best antivirus program because it was small no frills and worked great it is to bad to see them go along with ones like norton that soon need a dvd to put them on I dont need a firewall or anything else but a antivirus program.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:48:57 PM by Hammey »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 11:09:16 PM »
But without definitive evidence there is no way that this statement can be correct "I am only asking as I have used Avast for years all my customers use it and it is a shame to see it go this way."

As I said it is more likely that this data is numeric in nature as my image shows than it retaining every site that you visit, this really would be a massive database the last 1200 sites times 170+ Million users (that would only be one cycle of 1200 x 170+million), with no real purpose.

There is no firewall in the free antivirus version and avast continues to be very configurable, if there is a module you don't want, do a custom install and uncheck the modules you don't need/want.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security