Author Topic: Avast Update won't download  (Read 6770 times)

ljcool_08

Avast Update won't download
« on: July 30, 2013, 06:27:43 PM »
Hi, I've had a strange thing happen today. I tried updating two of my computers. I first did my laptop successfully updated using 3G connection, but my desktop stopped midway through the update using DSL. I retried twice and it stops. So I went to my laptop to download the offline installer on the website using 3G connection and to my surprise it stopped as well! I tried downloading through DSL this time on my laptop and it does the same thing. It stops at 900+ KB downloaded. Is it just me or something wrong with avast's servers? I did successfully updated my laptop before this happened so it can't be on my end.

Offline A. User

Re: Avast Update won't download
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 06:36:02 PM »
Hi ljcool_08,
You can download avast updates from here: http://www.avast.com/en-eu/download-update. Also try updating from the Program update button. ;)

ljcool_08

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 06:48:11 PM »
No good. I've tried updating manually with the update button on avast itself and downloading from avast website and trying your link but it still stops. Am I the only one having this problem?

Offline A. User

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 07:09:55 PM »
Well, go to avast settings(upper right part of avast interface), then updates and under proxy settings select direct connection. Try again and if this don't work you may want to try restoring from control panel.

ljcool_08

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 07:22:45 PM »
The thing is I was able to update successfully on my laptop. But my desktop failed. So I tried downloading from avast website for the offline installer from my laptop which was using a different connection that what my desktop was using. And it won't download and stops downloading on the avast site just like on my desktop when I tried updating it through avast software itself. I switched to the connection that the desktop was using and it was the same. Two connections, two computers, same results. If I were able to update on my laptop prior to my desktop and my desktop was downloading through a different connection midway and halted then I could only presume it has something to do with avast's servers.

Offline A. User

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »
Hi, can you download other files from other sites? Maybe the problem is not in avast or in avast website, but in your connection(s). Or in your computer. If i understand you properly you have tried to update the desktop PC using the two connections. Can you update the other computer(laptop)? Please reply if there are any errors from avast or from your browser. :)

ljcool_08

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »
Yes I can download from other sites just fine. I can even download the avast installer perfectly and I tried both connections on laptop and desktop. I can't figure out how I was able to update on my laptop but the desktop keeps stopping from downloading. I can't update the laptop right now coz it already has updated and shows the definition as up to date. There aren't any errors showing up, but when I check the downloading page on my chrome it's just not progressing and the same thing when on firefox and IE.

ljcool_08

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 09:01:20 PM »
I finally got some sort of breakthrough on this. So I am finally able to download the offline VPS, but only with a dismal speed of 70+ KB/s through my DSL. How I made it to do that? I don't know. It's just I noticed whenever my speed breaks through 200+ KB/s it stops. It does the same on both computers using different connections. I'm not sure it's my connection because I am using an AT&T wireless 3G and Verizon Fios and got the same behavior.

Offline A. User

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 09:27:51 PM »
Hi, contact your Internet service provider for more info of that issue. I think it is a problem with the cable or router if you have or something like this. Can your other PC download files with the both of the connections?

ljcool_08

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »
It can now. Both computers on both connections. Probably either something was up with avast servers or my service providers. And I was finally able to update my desktop manually using the update button on avast using the Fios connection. Everything's running well now. Thanks!

Offline A. User

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »
Stay away from viruses with avast! and be free! ;)