Author Topic: Avast 8 GUI crashes constantly  (Read 3177 times)

AlanJayWeiner

Avast 8 GUI crashes constantly
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:00:50 AM »
Running Windows 7 64bit, Avast Pro 8 updated to 8.0.1483

If I click on the 'security' tab, the GUI disappears

If I click on 'home' and then click on 'Software Updater', the GUI disappears

If I click on 'settings' then 'global exclusions' then 'browse' it fails to bring up a file browser, and nothing I do makes the settings window go away.  I have to reboot the system.

It is blocking GMVault, which I use to back up my gmail account.  I'm currently restoring my email database to a new gmail account.  Avast 7 had no problem with it; it worked fine.  Avast 8 blocks it; prevents GMVault from connecting to Gmail servers.   I can't put it in any 'safe' list because the GUI crashes before I can even get there.

I have to TURN OFF Avast 8 in order to restore my email to the gmail account - doesn't make me feel very secure!   It will take about 3 days to finish the email migration; I have to disable Avast for that time?  And I can't disable just one part; can't get to the GUI to do that.  I have to use the tray icon and disable ALL the shields.

So what do I do to fix these problems?

Is there a file I can manually edit to whitelist GMVault to get around the GUI crashing problem?  (it's a Python script, btw)

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
Re: Avast 8 GUI crashes constantly
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:29:02 AM »
something strange
may resolve

Windows XP: Click Start> Control Panel> Programs> avast> Repair

Windows Vista / Windows 7: Click Start> Control Panel> Programs> Programs and Features> avast> Repair

AlanJayWeiner

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:03:27 PM »
Did that; no change.  version numbers remained the same (engine and virus definitions version 130318-0
program version 8.0.1483)

AlanJayWeiner

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 03:44:49 AM »
partial resolution, but still not usable - have to disable Avast to retrieve my mail.

I completely uninstalled Avast, and reinstalled Avast 8.  Same version numbers as previously shown, but the GUI doesn't crash any more.

It still blocks GMvault; I have tracked it to the Mail Shield and the SSL handling.  If I disable the Mail Shield, GMvault works and retrieves my email.  (all other shields remain enabled)

I will post information about GMvault failing in another thread.

Avast 8 = disappointment

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 09:14:06 PM »
there is some sort of incompatibility between the module email
GM vaults
I have to ask the staff some correction before the release of the next update