Author Topic: Win 7 stuck in infinite startup repair loop after program update?  (Read 6513 times)

madmumbler

I use the free version. I have Windows 7 on a Toshiba Satellite T135. (No CD drive.)

I got the prompt to upgrade the software and did so this afternoon. Didn't do the restart then because I was busy. Shut it down to go to dinner. Came back and tried to start the computer, and now it's stuck in a repeated Startup Repair loop. If I try to pick Start Normally it shuts down and restarts to the Startup Repair prompt screen. It does NOT allow me to boot into safe mode.

I'm a writer and on deadline with a book and I'm NOT happy right now. I didn't do my daily backup yet (was going to do it after dinner) and NEED this laptop back up and running.

HELP!!!

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
Re: Win 7 stuck in infinite startup repair loop after program update?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:41:53 AM »
Use the uninstall tool in safe mode press f8 repeatedly

http://files.avast.com/test5beta/aswclear.exe

Download locations
avast 8.0.1483

http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:45:44 AM by jefferson santiag »

clems

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 02:16:16 AM »
Unless its an unlucky coincidence, I was bit by the same problem.  I saw a notice that there was a new version available, I didn't pay much attention and clicked through it.  It installed the Pro version in trial mode.  I decided to fix it later (go back to the free version).

The next day my computer just froze on the win 7 splash screen, using methods from sevenforums I was eventually get it to reboot several times, and thought everything was back to normal.  The next night, it was back to the freezing condition.  Again using methods from sevenforums I was able to restore win 7 to the day the avast pro version was installed, which I removed and re-installed the "free" version, and re-installed the windows security patches.  I has been scanned in safe mode after I was able to get it partially back, but the first times it wouldn't boot into safe mode either.

The boot HD has been checked by 2 different status programs, and gets a clean report, I am still not sure the problem is fixed....

I have been using Avast for many years, this is the only time something strange like this has happened.

revvink

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:56:23 PM »
I also had this problem. Started on March 14th, just after I updated Avast. I couldn't get it to start in safe mode at that time, so finally just shut it off for the weekend. Today I managed to get it started, and have reinstalled Avast, and am running a full scan as well. Will that detect this StartupRepair trojan, which is what I read this is?