Author Topic: context menu scanning not working??  (Read 17619 times)

jenai

context menu scanning not working??
« on: March 06, 2005, 10:20:56 AM »
When I right click on a file, in the context menu I select the file to be scanned by Avast, but nothing seems to happen.  A window use to show up showing the file was being scanned.  If I select a whole folder, it works but not on one or a selection of files. I am not sure if it changed when I upgraded to 4.6, but I think it was still working. I have recently uninstalled then reinstalled Avast, but it still is the same. I really need to know if my files are being scanned or not.

I am still have not solved the problem with Avast not loading up for 2+ min after everything else.  And I still sometimes get a error message on restart about an ashavast memory error with a lot of numbers. I can't write it down because it disappears too fast.

I am very disheartened because I really like Avast.

Avast 4.6 Home Free
Win XP pro SP2

Thanks in advance...
Jen

Slovak

Re: context menu scanning not working??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 02:19:31 PM »
Don't feel bad, I don't even have a scan with Avast option  ???

lee16

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 02:22:42 PM »
Are you running anyother Antivirus software alongside avast?

--lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 02:35:43 PM »
When I right click on a file, in the context menu I select the file to be scanned by Avast, but nothing seems to happen.  A window use to show up showing the file was being scanned.  If I select a whole folder, it works but not on one or a selection of files. I am not sure if it changed when I upgraded to 4.6, but I think it was still working. I have recently uninstalled then reinstalled Avast, but it still is the same. I really need to know if my files are being scanned or not.

For it's working. Even files with spaces, multiply files, etc.
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
Important: Do you have any application that monitors startup items, BHO's from Internet, etc. like: Prevx, Ad-watch (from Ad-aware), Teatimer (from SpyBot)?

I am still have not solved the problem with Avast not loading up for 2+ min after everything else.  And I still sometimes get a error message on restart about an ashavast memory error with a lot of numbers. I can't write it down because it disappears too fast.

A new pre-release version of avast will be delivered next few hours.
Please update. It could fix this issue.
The best things in life are free.

jenai

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 05:35:59 PM »
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

Repair didn't help.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
Important: Do you have any application that monitors startup items, BHO's from Internet, etc. like: Prevx, Ad-watch (from Ad-aware), Teatimer (from SpyBot)?

I have done the uninstall and reinstall thing.. No difference.
No teatimer or Ad-Watch, but I did have Spywareguard and Spywareblaster on... I tried with them off but no difference. Also Did have the IE bad download helper on, in Spybot.

I guess I will just have to wait for the prerelease update, and hope that works.  Will that be offered with the automatic update feature, or do I have to go to the site for the update?

Thanks so much for your help....

Jen

jenai

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 05:39:20 PM »
Are you running anyother Antivirus software alongside avast?

--lee

Lee... Nope..   :(

Jen

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 09:31:04 PM »
I guess I will just have to wait for the prerelease update, and hope that works.

See here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11828.0

Will that be offered with the automatic update feature, or do I have to go to the site for the update?

No... you must download ashbeta.exe and run it to get the update.

jenai

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 03:17:41 AM »
No... you must download ashbeta.exe and run it to get the update.

Thanks..  I did, and it hasn't changed a thing.

Thank you everyone for all your help! I love Avast, it's been good to me in the past, but because I can't scan the files I've downloaded, and because it takes too long to load up, I'm afraid I am going to have to look for another antivirus program..  :'(  I'll wait til there's a major upgrade and then will try again!

Thanks again for your help, guys.
Jen   :)
PS........... the scanning thing wouldn't be a setting or something would it?  I have looked, but don't see anything I would need to change.

One more revision here..  If I select a FOLDER to scan, I see the scanning taking place.  It's just if I select one or more files to scan that I don't see the scanning window, nor does the A blue ball spin.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 04:17:39 AM by jenai »

Markus

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 04:26:50 AM »
jenei

In Sett[ngs/Common make sure  you have Show result of Contex Menu checked. It's the last box on the bottom

Mark.

jenai

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 04:34:37 AM »
jenei

In Sett[ngs/Common make sure  you have Show result of Contex Menu checked. It's the last box on the bottom

Mark.

It is Mark... that's why I don't understand what is wrong...   :(
Actually it doesn't say Context Menu, it says Explorer Extension. :)
Jen

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 11:50:14 AM »
Anything suspicious in avast! Log Viewer?

jenai

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 08:34:21 PM »

No... 

Jen

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 09:06:13 PM »

Igor, in MailScanner section of avast4.ini file we have the value Log that could be set for level of logging.
Won't be necessary for Standard Shield a value too? Is the Log Viewer slider the only necessary?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 12:15:19 PM »
This is "Explorer Extension" - it doesn't have anything to do with Standard Shield, or avast! resident protection in general (i.e. the blue tray icon should not spin while the scan is taking place).

Well, I don't know... I feel like some other application corrupts the explorer extension handling, but that might be a problem to discover.

So, the scanning works only for folders - no single types are scanned, even if you try for multiple file types? (zip, txt, doc, bmp, ...)

jenai

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 01:24:34 AM »
So, the scanning works only for folders - no single types are scanned, even if you try for multiple file types? (zip, txt, doc, bmp, ...)

Exactly!

Well, I don't know... I feel like some other application corrupts the explorer extension handling, but that might be a problem to discover.

I have completely uninstalled Avast, turned off all my spyware/adware programs, rebooted, etc.. then reinstalled Avast.  I still can't scan one file at a time! I am afraid of being unprotected!.