Author Topic: context menu scanning not working??  (Read 17617 times)

jenai

Re: context menu scanning not working??
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2005, 10:49:40 AM »
No.. am not familiar with either.. Is one easier to use than the other?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2005, 10:58:50 AM »
No, they are different. File Monitor logs all file access (well, you can filter it if you want), whereas Registry Monitor logs all access to registry. Maybe it would show us that something is wrong (ashQuick.exe is expected to be somewhere else than it really is, or some registry keys are missing...).
I don't know - that's what I would do because I'm really out of ideas. There is no reason for the Explorer extension to work with folder, and not work with files - I'm not aware of any difference in handling of files and folders ???
(unless there's some other program, registered as Explorer extension for files, that somehow interferes...)

beerslayer

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2005, 11:01:49 AM »
Here are a couple of things I'm wondering about, based on this conversation so far:

1) Has anyone looked in avast! settings: confirmations: "Message when results were successfully processed"?  I'd make sure this box is checked, as well as the one below it, "Message when error occurred during results processing".

2) For the option avast! settings: common: "Show results of Explorer Extension", try UNchecking it, restart, REcheck it, restart, and see if that solves it.  Sometimes, with some programs (not necessarily avast), flags (checkboxes) get out of sync between the UI and the config files or registry entries.  It's worth a try to toggle it.

Good luck.  I hope you find a resolution.

jenai

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2005, 02:53:17 AM »
No, they are different. File Monitor logs all file access (well, you can filter it if you want), whereas Registry Monitor logs all access to registry. Maybe it would show us that something is wrong (ashQuick.exe is expected to be somewhere else than it really is, or some registry keys are missing...).
I don't know - that's what I would do because I'm really out of ideas. There is no reason for the Explorer extension to work with folder, and not work with files - I'm not aware of any difference in handling of files and folders ???
(unless there's some other program, registered as Explorer extension for files, that somehow interferes...)

The only thing I could make out with Regmon, was mostly all Sygate stuff.  That thing ran on forever, I finally had to stop it. lol

jenai

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2005, 02:58:49 AM »
Here are a couple of things I'm wondering about, based on this conversation so far:

1) Has anyone looked in avast! settings: confirmations: "Message when results were successfully processed"?  I'd make sure this box is checked, as well as the one below it, "Message when error occurred during results processing".

2) For the option avast! settings: common: "Show results of Explorer Extension", try UNchecking it, restart, REcheck it, restart, and see if that solves it.  Sometimes, with some programs (not necessarily avast), flags (checkboxes) get out of sync between the UI and the config files or registry entries.  It's worth a try to toggle it.

Good luck.  I hope you find a resolution.

YUP.. everything aok .... checked as stated.

jenai

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2005, 04:10:19 AM »
OK.. I haven't resolved the problem yet, but I may have found a workaround.  I made a shortcut to aQuick.exe in the Send To menu.  If I send the file to be checked to the send to menu choosing aQuick, I then see the scanning window.
To me that is strange. Why would it do it that way and not the other?  Is there a way to edit the context menu? There has to be a solution somewhere..

I really do appreciate everyone's efforts and suggestions.