Author Topic: chrome 25 freeze by avast webrep  (Read 2340 times)

tkt

chrome 25 freeze by avast webrep
« on: March 20, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »
chrome 25 frequently hang (freeze) when opining website. after disabling avast webrep the problem in gone.
windows 7 (32 bit) sp 1 with all update
chrome 25.0.1364.172
avast! 8.0.1483 free

CCV

Re: chrome 25 freeze by avast webrep
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 01:39:03 AM »
Judging by the number of updates to the plug in, this issue has been fairly long standing. It's still not fixed for me either.

Chrome Version 25.0.1364.172 m, and WebRep  8.0.1483.
Besides WebRep crashing all the time, it is causing verrrryyy slow loading on launch and freezing/lagging while page(s) are still loading in Chrome. No such problem with WebRep enabled in Firefox, it seems.
It's not only affecting browser performance, but (after re-enabling webrep in chrome) I notice a considerable decline in my machine's overall performance as well.

I could switch browsers, but, seeing as I prefer chrome for everyday purposes I'm leaving webrep disabled for the time being.
(Still have McAfee Site Adviser. That is something, I guess.)
A question, tho;
With webrep disabled in chrome, will I still get updates for the extension alone?

CCV

Re: chrome 25 freeze by avast webrep
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »
Hmmm..

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=118151.msg913108#msg913108
I wouldn't be unduly concerned about it as the webrep is mostly site reputation based and not an indication the site is infected, etc. that is the job of the Web Shield and Network Shield.
...as the webrep is mostly site reputation based and not an indication the site is infected, etc. that is the job of the Web Shield and Network Shield.
Especially when this tool is simply a voted result and nothing to actually do with it being a reputable site.

With a bit of research one will find that many hacking sites that are constantly bombarded with PORT MONITORING as well as newer phishing sites are rated as safe... hmm, very deceptive name for this tool but whatever. 

Its like American Idol but for websites.... nothing that its title would indicate.

Might as well just not use WebRep, in that case.
I think maybe McAfee Site Advisor is more useful in warning of 'dangerous'/'suspicious' sites, like.. in search results, especially. It will block sites and/or some content too. More often than I see avast! doing.