Author Topic: How are Programs Selected for the Software Updater?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline larrymcg

How are Programs Selected for the Software Updater?
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:28:35 PM »
I have 2 questions about the V8.0.1482 Software Updater:

1. How are programs/plugins/etc. selected for inclusion in the Updater?

2. Can I add or remove programs from the Updater?

--Larry

Offline larrymcg

Re: How are Programs Selected for the Software Updater?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:35:51 AM »
Hmmmmmm.......  Not much activity on this!

Here's another query for the Software Updater:

Is there a list of currently included applications and plugins and whatever?  (I'm assuming this list is updated from time to time and is available somewhere on my PC.)

--Larry

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 06:35:35 AM »
Well my guess is that it scans the installed programs on your computer and from that it adds whatever it supports to the list and checks for regular updates.. Dont think it uses realtime updates as most of the updates have a delay of a couple of hours/days depending on the software..

And no you cant remove programs from the updater (i'm assuming you mean removing software from the list of the software in the updater?) but you can ignore them..
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:44:05 AM »
New versions of the monitored software by software updater on your system are updated when Avast! receives the standard update (not streaming updates)

So yes, it is a real-time update monitor but only as quick as how fast Avast! updates their internal database and how often you receive standard updates.

Offline larrymcg

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 02:43:14 PM »
There is a file in one of the avast folders called softwarehealth.log    It looks to me that you can figure out what things the software updater is looking for by reading that log.

--Larry