Author Topic: Avast web sheild slowing kuvva.com & rrkuvvawp.s3.amazonaws.com  (Read 4731 times)

loukingjr

For whatever reason Avast is slowing the Kuvva site to a crawl. It takes 15-20 minutes to load a page. I tried adding the site as an exception but it doesn't seem to work. The only thing that does work is disabling the web shield.

any thoughts?

loukingjr

Re: Avast web sheild slowing kuvva.com & rrkuvvawp.s3.amazonaws.com
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »
any chance someone is looking into this?

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »
The reason are the broken HTTP 1.1 responses that the server sends (precisely the broken Content-Type HTTP headers - You will find more info in your system log file). Avast handles such broken responses as legacy HTTP 0.9 responses and waits until the server closes the connection, that's why you observe the page load delays. The solution is to report the bug to the responsible people at kuvva.com and wait until they fix it.

loukingjr

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 06:46:42 PM »
The reason are the broken HTTP 1.1 responses that the server sends (precisely the broken Content-Type HTTP headers - You will find more info in your system log file). Avast handles such broken responses as legacy HTTP 0.9 responses and waits until the server closes the connection, that's why you observe the page load delays. The solution is to report the bug to the responsible people at kuvva.com and wait until they fix it.
thanks. I'll let them know.

loukingjr

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 01:16:42 PM »
I forwarded the info to Kuvva.com but I have a question. In the advanced tab for the web shield you are suppose to be able to add server exceptions that web shied won't scan yet adding kuvva.com doesn't seem to work. why not?

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »
I forwarded the info to Kuvva.com but I have a question. In the advanced tab for the web shield you are suppose to be able to add server exceptions that web shied won't scan yet adding kuvva.com doesn't seem to work. why not?

The reason is, that the image server (rrkuvvawp.s3.amazonaws.com) uses some kind of Round-robin DNS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_DNS). The exclusions addresses are loaded at the web/mail shield start so if the IP address of the host in the exclusion changes during the lifetime of the shield, than the new address will not trigger the exclusion mechanism. The exclusion addresses can not be generally checked at runtime, so there is not much you can do with exclusions on hosts, that change the IP address every 5 seconds.

loukingjr

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 06:33:49 PM »
okay thanks