Author Topic: Webshield and Sygate Personal Firewall  (Read 26438 times)

stevejrc

Re: Webshield and Sygate Personal Firewall
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 03:51:22 PM »
I installed ZoneAlarm, all works ok, all programs inc. realplayer have asked for access. I might go back to Sygate if they fix their problems ie proxy and error at startup on new build for many people, just see their forums, its manic. I have no confidence in a (big) company like Sygate that doesn't fix big issues after several months/years, what else is wrong that we don't know about..

;D Thats why Avast is superior as a company, they address any issues almost instantly, have an un-rivalled tech support forum, a sure sign of a company that cares, in a world where many don't.

sded

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 04:20:49 PM »
Unfortunately, using proxies for the browsers doesn't do anything to fix the Sygate local proxy problems-it just keeps Webshield from adding to them significantly.  I am also trying out Kerio PF 4.1, and so far it seems pretty good too, if a little more complex to set up (but no proxies necessary).  Don't know what the pitfalls are with it.  ZoneAlarm just didn't give me enough insight into what was happening to solve problems, although it worked very well as a firewall.

JohnC

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 05:59:09 PM »
Till the end of last year I was using Zone Alarm and AVG, but  the latest AVG version caused all kinds of trouble with W98.
Thinking a firewall incompatibility might be the problem, I switched from ZA to Kerio but their latest version seems to cause freezing/crashes with W98 too, so then to Sygate but problems seemed to remain, so finally dropped AVG for Avast! which so far looks pretty good.
However this proxy issue seems to call for yet another firewall change (getting tired of all this "system" stuff  :()
So- back to Zone Alarm or try Outpost?
(oldish computer- 192MB/266MHz W98)
Any advice much appreciated.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 06:23:57 PM »
Well you can always disable WebShield (in fact it's not used in win9x unless you specifically configure it in your browser) and have the functionality equivalent to avast 4.5...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

JohnC

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 06:40:12 PM »
Well, I have set Firefox and IE to use the webshield, and it seems to be going nicely.
The only problem is this proxy thing with Sygate.
I can (1) put up with other applications sneaking their way onto the net,(2) do without webshield, or (3) switch firewalls I guess.
If (3) , do Zone Alarm and Outpost both work nicely with Avast! on W98?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 06:48:25 PM »
There's one option that you didn't mention (4) bug alwil to make to create a work around for sygate users.

The point is, I can imagine creating a webshield plugin for sygate users that would actually act as a firewall - asking you if this or that process is allowed or not... The problem is, it's not a 2-hour work (more like 2-weeks+testing) and we don't have enough resources for this (unplanned) task at the moment... Maybe in the future. ;)

As about firewall alternatives, I like Kerio 2.x because of its simplicity but it's more designed for advanced users.

Thanks
Vlk

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2005, 06:59:18 PM »
PS. I'd love to visit your restaurant!! ;D Oh God, Yummy!

JohnC

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 07:15:58 PM »
Sure, I wasn't thinking of asking you to spend weeks to put a firewall function into a nice antivirus program.
Unfortunately Kerio didn't work well on this machine.
Maybe I'll go back to Zone Alarm, although it gets a lot of criticsm here and there.

Thanks for the kind words about our place- Prague's a long way from Nagoya, but if your in the area, please drop in!

btw is it OK to put an image and link to my website as a signature, and if so where can I read how to do it? Tried plain html and it doesn't seem to work.

Jarmo P

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 07:53:49 PM »
There's one option that you didn't mention (4) bug alwil to make to create a work around for sygate users.

The point is, I can imagine creating a webshield plugin for sygate users that would actually act as a firewall - asking you if this or that process is allowed or not... The problem is, it's not a 2-hour work (more like 2-weeks+testing) and we don't have enough resources for this (unplanned) task at the moment... Maybe in the future. Wink

I rather wish you won't do that. I live with Sygate fw using sded's advice in making webShields redirection port blank and having my Firefox using a local proxy connection through 12080 local host address, blanking the other protocols.  That way other apps (who are not configured to use that local proxy) do get asked from Sygate.
Leave the firewall thing to SPF.
I do how now a local proxy, that could be used with some baddies to sneak out, but not so bad really. I can always disable WebShield from paranoid timed :)

Vlk, instead of a blank redirector port field, can i put there some other high numbered one in the webshield? And same into my browser?

That is only if Avast gets too popular and those crackers want to use it.

JohnC

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2005, 04:58:08 AM »
Well you can always disable WebShield (in fact it's not used in win9x unless you specifically configure it in your browser) and have the functionality equivalent to avast 4.5...

OK that's what I've finally done, as the easiest way out.
The standard shield still catches viruses I guess,  and I can leave Sygate as it is.
 Actually I'm using an old Sygate (5.5) as the newest one messes up with W98 too! (these updates can be such a pain...)

Anyway thanks for your advice.

Arup

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2005, 06:56:21 AM »
In case you guys need an alternative to Sygate, check out Jetico at http://www.jetico.com/index.htm

It is free and works nicely with Avast Web Scanner, supports ICS and has the lowest resource consumption very much on the lines of the original Kerio 2.15 Its interface could do with some improvement but then the resource needs might go up as well so works nicely for me.

JohnC

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2005, 04:20:36 AM »
Thanks Arup, I'll have a look at that and maybe try it out next week.

Arup

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2005, 04:48:44 PM »
It is quite good but has a steep learning curve like Kerio 2.15, keep us updated.