Author Topic: avast! won't register Year 2 of 2 Yr. Subscription for avast! Internet Security  (Read 4073 times)

7DeadlySins

Bought 2 year subscription (for 3 computers) to avast! Internet Security in March 2012. Initiated subscription from this computer. NOTE: Second computer w/ avast! program currently working fine.
Am unable to renew the second year of my subscription on this computer. (I doubt that it would have anything to do that I have gone via a clean install from Windows XP to Windows 7 Professional recently).
I downloaded my avast! license file and put it on my desktop. I went to maintenance tab, clicked subscription, then on "Insert License" : error message reads: "Unable to insert the license file. The system cannot find the file specified."
The current version of avast! is listed as 8.0.1482
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Double click the licence file, that should work 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The latest version of avast is 8.0.1483, so you need to do a program update or clean install.
Direct download for latest AIS version http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe.

A clean install shouldn't have that effect, just that you would need to input your license file again (license.avastlic). Resend avast License http://www.avast.com/resend-license-paid.php, you will need to enter the email that you used when purchasing the license, e.g. the one that the original email with the link was sent.

As essexboy mentioned double clicking the license file, saved to your hard drive should insert the license for you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

7DeadlySins

I downloaded the Avast software setup version, file version 8.0.1483.72  Tried program update first -- Got error message: " Error reading product data from "C:\Program files\AVASTSoftware\Avast\setup\part-setup_ abp-ffffffff.vpx" Setup cannot continue "
Then tried to uninstall current avast! v 8.0.1482 from Control Panel (so I could try a clean install of v 8.0.1483.72) and got exactly same error message as above.
Any thoughts? Thanks.
P.S. I did get license file & left it in email, until this current problem is fixed.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
A clean reinstall, including the use of the avast uninstall utility:
- Download the latest version of avast, 8.0.1483 and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that, as appears to be the case then start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

7DeadlySins

Thank you everyone!! Problem solved.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.

I take it that it was the clean install that resolved it ?